travel team rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Better to have team expectations than hard and fast rules in place IMO. If someone is not meeting expectations, then you can have an individual talk with the parents and player. After that, if things don't change, then you have good reason to make adjustements where necessary.

Oct 19, 2009
I was talking to a mom about her daughter (she was one of my kids when I coached) who is going to a D1 college to play softball, she advised when she asked her daughter if she was sure she wanted to play softball in college. Her response was, “I can’t even imagine of my life without softball”.

Oct 19, 2009
"I understand violation of rules may mean disciplinary action that may include running, extra drills. "

Teams in high school are strictly from prohibited from doing this. They call it 'physical or mental punishment.' And in line with that, some rec programs that are associated with a government entity may also not allow this. The numbers of programs with rules guarding against child abuse (not kidding, can be a serious issue that parents bring to Boards) are increasing. However, you can reduce playing time and kick the player off.

I think you can do it without the running or extra drills,

Like I said, if you miss a drill or something by being late, you have to make what you missed up.

My daughter wishes you would tell her high school basketball coah this, she and a friend missed a few summer workouts because of softball tournaments and a high school softball camp, forever workout they missed they must run 65 court sprints before they can start on the BB team.

They were not home laying on the couch, playing softball or at a HS camp.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
My daughter wishes you would tell her high school basketball coah this, she and a friend missed a few summer workouts because of softball tournaments and a high school softball camp, forever workout they missed they must run 65 court sprints before they can start on the BB team.

They were not home laying on the couch, playing softball or at a HS camp.
sounds like the basketball coach has issues,I think that when a coach does things like that,they are missing out on some really good players.

Jul 28, 2008
if a player misses a game or a practice thats not due to religion or sickness, should that player play?? My whole schedule is mapped out and the parents have it. Should a player who is late start over someone who was on time and should a player who has missed a game or practice start/play over another player?? (FYI-this is a town travel team where 14 out of 15 players live in the same town and go to the same school)

Don't start them. They still play, but not start. If it's your star pitcher, she doesn't start over another player who busted her rear to get to practice on time. I don't care who is driving them to practice. When you have everyone else there on time, it's not their fault a player is late. They just know they were on time.

Oct 19, 2009
sounds like the basketball coach has issues,I think that when a coach does things like that,they are missing out on some really good players.

My daughter and the other girl are considering not playing BB and it is their senior year. I am a firm believer in rules and discipline, the coach was informed by my daughter where she was and what she was doing. I believe some form of discipline would be ok, but what she and the other girl has to do is excessive. :mad:

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I love watching the coaches that have bellys sticking out so far that they can't see their own shoes.Yelling at the players to run,"get out and run yourself pork chop." A good leader won't ask his or her players,troops or whatever to do something they won't be willing to do themself.Now let me step off my soapbox,thank you very much!

I don't care if a coach has a big belly. I'm not going to be judgmental about that. But I'd have a problem with a coach calling a kid 'pork chop' if it's a reference to the player's size or weight.

Jan 25, 2011
I think he said that because the field was next to a BQ cook off , going on at the same time.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Communication is key (parents meetings at start of season, players codes, constant team communication via email, at practice, etc, etc). Lots of opportunity to provide notice that so and so wont be there...

On top of that, I use peer group pressure... I want a team environment which means I want as much team as possible. if someone is late without notice or wears the wrong practice shirt (we have red and black team shirts we use for practice) then the whole team does some level of 'reminder activity'. Believe me - the wrong practice shirt thing only happened once... You foster a good team feel and run a fun, active practice and the players will self-police a fair bit.

A total 'miss' of a mandatory practice without notice is handled separately and I generally inform the player and parent of what is going to happen. Most of the time it is a move down the batting order or a little more substitution during games. There are players I don't mind losing with - it doesn't bother me. It does bother most of my players though and you can use the peer group to make sure it doesn't happen regularly.

With notice I am pretty open to reasons why a player doesn't make practice - school, illness, family matters, scheduled games in another sport, one-off family vacation, too much homework - you name it I am normally more than OK as long as you let us know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221