travel team rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Can anyone give me their rules for a travel team....specifically being late for practice or being late for warmups before game...missing practice or a game except for religious instruction!! Thanks

Nov 1, 2009
We have several girls who travel close to two hours to play on our team. We ask them to be on time and for the most part they are, but if they are a little late we simply start without them and let them catch up. We do ask that all girls arrive 15 minutes before the actual practice starts to warm up and this usually give the players a little buffer if they are running late.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I would be hesitant to box myself into a corner with rules. Your star pitcher may have something that comes up and everyone will expect you to apply them equally. You can line out expectations and speak to those that appear to not take them seriously and go from there. If my kid is the 10-12th player and your star breaks the rules, DD better be in the game.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Extra laps. Running is a great motivator. X number of laps for each 1, 5, or 10 minutes late. With the explanation that being late shows a lack of respect to the coach and the team.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Like posted earlier, be careful with set team rules for attendance. If the team is younger than 18U, the players probably rely on the parents for transportation. Making a player run laps for being late, when it is usually the parents fault may not be the best approach. I would just address the attendance issues individually with the family. Let them know you are trying to build a team atmosphere and Little Sally being late or missing practices is not helping. If she is a marginal player, you could throw in that she could use all the practice time to work on her game more.

Jan 25, 2011
Extra laps. Running is a great motivator. X number of laps for each 1, 5, or 10 minutes late. With the explanation that being late shows a lack of respect to the coach and the team.
What if the parents are at fault,they should have to run the laps,if the player is driving themselfs I would agree to some sort of punishment.What would you say if I told you that using running laps,only makes adults that hate to run in the future.What if the coach or one of the asst. coaches is late,how do they get punished.Make the player carry the team equipment or something like that.But running is not a great motivator.

Jan 25, 2011
I love watching the coaches that have bellys sticking out so far that they can't see their own shoes.Yelling at the players to run,"get out and run yourself pork chop." A good leader won't ask his or her players,troops or whatever to do something they won't be willing to do themself.Now let me step off my soapbox,thank you very much!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I love watching the coaches that have bellys sticking out so far that they can't see their own shoes.Yelling at the players to run,"get out and run yourself pork chop." A good leader won't ask his or her players,troops or whatever to do something they won't be willing to do themself.Now let me step off my soapbox,thank you very much!

In this scenerio, was the coach late?

Jan 25, 2011
In this scenerio, was the coach late?
I'am not saying that running shouldn't be done,but not as a form of punishment,I'am not saying the coach has to run,but should be willing to.In that scenerio,I have seen this coach yelling at his players to run, because of a mistake.The only thing that coach ever ran to was a box of crispy creams left unattended too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AymeePitcherMom