Top 5 Essential Work Stations for Team Hitting Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Rich - Super idea! We have playing a lot of target tee lately in the group/team lessons....set a ball on a tee and hit another ball from a tee from about 10 away....puts a lot of focus on competing and the swing.

Might have to try PIG next time....although I would call OUT....

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Couldn't resist. We are getting a lot of snow here today, so kind of stuck inside and getting cabin fever.

The matrix drill is swinging in slow motion. The most important part is making the movie sound effects while swinging ultra slow. WWWWWOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH.

I like it!!!

After wwwwooooooosssssshhhhhhh I ad: see yaaaaaaaaa

SL

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the input. What I'm trying to accomplish is productive drills off of the field so we can use the field for live pitching as much as possible. The plan is to occupy the majority of the players so as to minimize wasted time while some are facing live pitching; and rotate, of course.

We have a batting cage with machine and a bullpen area plus 3 permanent station nets. Also have an area large enough for a couple of TCB work areas.

I believe the following might work well:

Station 1: Slow motion swing (Matrix)
Station 2: Walk through tee
Station 3: Identify pitch stand-in while pitchers warm up in bull pen
Station 4: One-arm swings tee for elbow lead, angle; One-arm swings top hand, angle
Station 5: TCB stations
Station 6: Machine cage:
Bunt (10 pitches)
Swings with correct form (10 pitches)
Bonds drill (move a step toward the machine until fail, then back step to normal)

Again thanks for the feedback. More feedback is welcome. By the way, working both V and JV at the same practice.

Also, besides identifying spin on pitches, how do you apply that knowledge in practice?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Originally Posted by pridefpsb17 Whip it/Rope bat
This is a good drill that has the benefit to needing little room and being very safe so the players can do it on their own.

YES! Have players always wear helmets!!! With younger players, in a group setting, we always remind them to make sure that no one is around them when swinging a bat, safety first. :)

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Could someone explain the Bonds drill to me....is it simply moving closer and closer to the machine?

Thanks
The way we do it is that if the hitter hits the ball, she moves one step closer towards the machine. Fouls it off, stays where she is at. Misses it takes one step back. It is about making adjustments. We also have the hitter go all the way back and hit maybe three or more pitches. Just make sure that they are not moving to far in on the pitch.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Don't forget to move in and out, besides moving closer! softballphreak, have the same thing going on. With our new JV players I add grip ( I bought 8 bat jacks) and they have to use them in the stations till they have the correct grip down. I use the milk crate with them in the cages till they learn not to squish the bug. It's the Freshman each year you have to spend extra time breaking bad habits.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Don't forget to move in and out, besides moving closer! softballphreak, have the same thing going on. With our new JV players I add grip ( I bought 8 bat jacks) and they have to use them in the stations till they have the correct grip down. I use the milk crate with them in the cages till they learn not to squish the bug. It's the Freshman each year you have to spend extra time breaking bad habits.

Thanks; I had overlooked the moving in and out. I'm also on the edge of ordering the Bat Jack. Can't afford enough for a team. Maybe if I order one the players may order their own after they try it.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The pony tail Tie is a cheap version of the bat jack. I use to pass them out to every player . It shows them how to grip, but they can still cheat if they move the fingers around when hitting. It will get the point across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi