Top 5 Essential Work Stations for Team Hitting Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
What 5 (or more maybe) hitting stations do you consider essential for team practices. Stations not considered team-essential would be on an individual as-needed basis.

We have a long cage that can be used for machine-pitch and front toss plus areas for tee, TCB balls, in addition to the field.

Also, are there any recommended in-season conditioning exercises?

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Good idea SF
These are in no particular order
1 Long Tee I like this drill done on the field it gives feedback to me and the player.
2 Any drill that the focus is on hitting the ball backside, could be tee, or front toss allowing the ball to get deep in the zone.
3 High tee I use this alot with younger players because in the beginning they have a tendacy to drop their hands below the ball.
4 Any type of walk thru drill, right now I use Face the Fire drill it seems to work well
5 The Matrix I am learning how to utilize this in different ways but I believe as a team drill it would be essential.
Lastly this is not a drill but something I emphasize now when working out teams or indivuals, it is ok to fail at practice I want them to relax so they can learn if they are afraid of failing they will not get outside their comfort zone and progress will be slow.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
While this is our setup for 20+ players. Depending on the goal for the session I pick from these.

Start with stretches, Matrix drill, form bunts.
  1. Whip it/Rope bat
  2. Regular Tee
  3. Machine (bunt three, 10 pitches or Bonds Drill. Slapping)
  4. Front Toss
  5. High Tee
  6. Machine Bunt/Drag/Push (5 or so each)
  7. Regular Tee
  8. One knee, one arm (front arm/back arm)
  9. Regular Tee/Medicine Ball/Walk Through/Throw It/Teeter Totter/Mirror/Hips
  10. Regular Tee
  11. Live Pitching or Chuck It
  12. TCB Balls
  13. Agilities/Core work
  14. Jump rope
We have two teams or so at a session, two players at a station. Assistants and some parents help with stations. Coaches work with players.

Top five:
Matrix
Regular Tee
Front Toss
One specialty drill (Walk up, ect.)
Chuck It
Live Pitching
Machine Bonds Drill

Last edited:
R

RayR

Essential Stations

Top Hand / Bottom Hand swings with a shorty bat
Rope/String Drill
Walk ups
Front Knee swings (regular bat)
Inside Tee or Tee with pole barrier to force bat path

Oct 14, 2008
Matrix-middle-inside-outside
Hammer drill
chuckit
Whip hit
front arm back arm tee
Hit away focusing hands long thru zone

Last edited:

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Can someone please tell me what the "matrix" is? I keep seeing it posted but can't find anything about it!! Got a website for it maybe?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
the-matrix.jpg

"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Couldn't resist. We are getting a lot of snow here today, so kind of stuck inside and getting cabin fever.

The matrix drill is swinging in slow motion. The most important part is making the movie sound effects while swinging ultra slow. WWWWWOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Added one this winter as session-ender: we've worked a lot hitting pull, middle, oppo, low and high off a tee so lately when we have time we've been playing "P-I-G" -- girl has to call her shot (ie, oppo, between those two poles-line drive), next girl has to match or get a letter, etc. until one girl is left. I play too if it works out. Lots of fun and where-you-hit-the-ball-in-the-zone and how you work your hands becomes engrained when they focus on winning the game and hitting to a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802