need help translating practice swing into games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
If....her hitting coach is teaching proper swing mechanics and she isn’t using them in a game, she just hasn’t had enough reps swinging correctly to train her muscles to do it repetitively.
OK, due to scheduling, she can only get to see instructor about once every two weeks, so lots of solo tee work and soft toss?

Oct 14, 2016
I have found that some athletes perform differently because of trust. Especially in the younger athletes. They trust the Tee and the Front Tosser, but they don't trust the pitcher, thus they first determine if they are going to get hit, then they swing.

Like my peers have suggested, she will need a lot of reps to burn that muscle memory into the ONLY way to swing.

Aug 20, 2017
OK, due to scheduling, she can only get to see instructor about once every two weeks, so lots of solo tee work and soft toss?
Honestly I’d do dry drills a bunch. Stance, slowly sink back knee (load), stride (making sure the belly button moves forward, front knee lift slightly towards belly button) and hold and check for the following: 50/50 balance, hands stretched back (zero hand movement forward at this point) knob of bat to catcher, front shoulder in and down, tension inside back quad and back butt check, chest tilted over plate, butt out, tension in legs (staying down), stride to inside of front foot on toe. Do it on your command. You say “sink...stride” and you check her for the above. After you feel she is picking it up pretty good, tell her to do it on her own continuously: stance, sink/stride/hold. Have her check herself for body awareness. This is just a starting point but it will help teach her what she should feel over and over.

Don’t side toss, ever! Teaches too many swing flaws when done incorrectly. Front Toss is the way to go if possible. On tees I’d do a bunch of stride, pause, hit drills reinforcing the stuff above and telling her to work backwards when she swings. Make sure she strides to the positions above.

May 6, 2015
Honestly I’d do dry drills a bunch. Stance, slowly sink back knee (load), stride (making sure the belly button moves forward, front knee lift slightly towards belly button) and hold and check for the following: 50/50 balance, hands stretched back (zero hand movement forward at this point) knob of bat to catcher, front shoulder in and down, tension inside back quad and back butt check, chest tilted over plate, butt out, tension in legs (staying down), stride to inside of front foot on toe. Do it on your command. You say “sink...stride” and you check her for the above. After you feel she is picking it up pretty good, tell her to do it on her own continuously: stance, sink/stride/hold. Have her check herself for body awareness. This is just a starting point but it will help teach her what she should feel over and over.

Don’t side toss, ever! Teaches too many swing flaws when done incorrectly. Front Toss is the way to go if possible. On tees I’d do a bunch of stride, pause, hit drills reinforcing the stuff above and telling her to work backwards when she swings. Make sure she strides to the positions above.
thx!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom