need help translating practice swing into games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
how can I get DD (12) to produce more power at plate. in soft toss or tee work, she hits much harder than at the plate.

this video was actually one of her harder hits lately (got through F4)

she see's a hitting instructor, but they do not use a machine, so she sees very little full speed pitching except in games. to my eyes (sorry I do not have video of tee or soft toss swings), she is slowing things down just to make contact. She rarely Ks, but hits more than her share of weak pop flys and weak ground balls. I think it is mostly mental, she is so worried about contact that it affects her swing. She also, when facing weaker pitching (ie slower), gets out ahead a lot.

trying to have her be more patient. also trying to get her out of the any contact is good mindset, into mindset that occasional K is OK, if the other PAs result in good hard hits rather than weak hits, to convince her she has the hand/eye coordination to swing all out and still make good solid contact, albeit maybe less contact.

cage work against machine to get better timing down?
heavy balls pitched as fast as I can from as close as I dare?
simply more tee/soft toss to ingrain her swing better (honestly playing too many games lately, two different teams, plus swimming, not a lot of time for practice with team or solo lately, but rec AS is over now, so down to one fastpitch team at least)?

Attachments

• ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 127
Aug 20, 2017
Don’t mean this to be rude but she has a long way to developing a mechanically sound consistent swing. She is only using hands, arms and shoulders to power the swing. Got to learn to uses legs, glutes, and core. Must swing from the ground up, not the top down. She will gain more power when she learns to sequence her swing from legs/hips into creating stretch in the core and lower back while continuing to resist with the upper body

May 6, 2015
Don’t mean this to be rude but she has a long way to developing a mechanically sound consistent swing. She is only using hands, arms and shoulders to power the swing. Got to learn to uses legs, glutes, and core. Must swing from the ground up, not the top down. She will gain more power when she learns to sequence her swing from legs/hips into creating stretch in the core and lower back while continuing to resist with the upper body

exactly, not saying her practice (ie tee work or soft toss) swing is perfect, but it is much better than the video. the issue is that the good mechanics are not translating to the plate in game situations.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
"she see's a hitting instructor "

Never go back. Never. I'm going to be blunt, her swing is not good. The instructor should have fixed much of this on Day 1.

Whoever told her to go no-stride, and push her hands at the ball... never speak to them again.

Start over. Learn to stride. Here's how:

Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch.

You and she can both learn this in a few days, and you won't have to pay an instructor. Then video again, and we can go from there.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
ezgif-com-video-to-gif-gif.14529

Start over.
giphy.gif

May 6, 2015
I will try to get video of her in lessons or doing soft toss, that is my point, her swing in game situations is not what she practices. she is getting so concerned with making contact that she is throwing her practiced swing out the window.

Aug 20, 2017
I will try to get video of her in lessons or doing soft toss, that is my point, her swing in game situations is not what she practices. she is getting so concerned with making contact that she is throwing her practiced swing out the window.
If....her hitting coach is teaching proper swing mechanics and she isn’t using them in a game, she just hasn’t had enough reps swinging correctly to train her muscles to do it repetitively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood