Too much money involved, will ruin the sport in the long run.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have seen some parents dbl up in the hotel at Pony Nats instead of each parent and kid getting their own room to save money. I know our team gets 100 dollar sponsors that go on the practice shirts. For each one you get your fee is reduced by 45. I know one family that managed to find 4 or 5 to reduce their overall exposure. I see some families always brown bagging it at the tourneys, even at the big tourneys, hitting the grocery store to replenish supplies. I guess the point of this post is if it isn't too extreme some families can get creative to make it work. You may need to set your sites a little lower. Instead of the fancy team you join the working man and woman's team. Find the slightly used CF4 for 80.00, buy DD's cleats in the fall when they are giving them away for under 20 dollars at Dicks.

I do have a slightly used Miken Rain 32/20 for sale. :cool:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Screwball, I know we are lucky. Our speed and strength training had several time options but was mandatory. It was/is run by a certified strength coach who has worked at several D-I schools. The training is sports specific which is also nice. Jugs Magazine ran a story about my dd's team/organization and mentioned all of these perks in the story.

Oct 31, 2010
Instead of the fancy team you join the working man and woman's team.

I wish I could find one of these around me. DD was on one last year but they were all 00's with the exception of my DD & 1 other girl who are 01's. The 00's moved up & team dissolved so we ended up back in rec & moved them up to 12u. That's the only problem around here with affordable teams, they don't last long :(. At least she gets to try out for the middle school team in October, I've heard the coach is very knowledgeable & great with the girls & he also coaches his DD's 18u travel team.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have often wondered about the rational behind the number of tournaments some teams enter. I was checking out a team we were going to play and they had 16 two day events ending with the Pony Nationals and USSSA.

I figure if you average 3.5 at bats per game x 5 over a weekend, you'd be much better off taking batting practice and getting your defensive reps in. By playing less and practicing more you could keep the costs down by hundreds per kid.

I don't think I could stand 18 tourneys.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is a good fielder and hitter, working on being a good pitcher.

We will see if she makes her MS team, she is going to try. It is free, hard to beat free.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Some teams will purchase team bats. Instead of 12 girls spending $3600+ on individual bats, they'll spend $1200 and outfit the entire team.

There is part of the problem right there. Stop paying the ridiculous prices for these bats. JO has become as absurd as adult SP players on this "keepin' up with the Jones' " mentality.

Jul 26, 2010
Go-kart racing is expensive. Gymnastics is expensive. Soccer can be $10,000 a year out here. Softball is bloody cheap. It's all relative though, and money is useless until it's spent anyway.

-W

May 8, 2012
NJ
back to the original op....I work a lot of hrs each week, perhaps more than i should. i send my dd to hitting lessons EVERY week...why? Because in the end, its a lot easier for me to send her than get outside and work it with her...sorry, but its the truth. I absolutly hate what we spend on travel, and rec. What can you do?? Softball is taken seriously, and not coming from a state that can almost play year round, i need to do whatever i can to level the playing field. While locally it may seem extreme to send a kid to defensensive, and offensive lessons...as a whole my dd is competing against girls that can play year round....thats not quite fair. I need to do whatever i can to level the field....if that means $80 a week, so be it. I'll do as long as i can afford it....basically just comes down to keeping up with the Jones i guess. I need the bat just to stay even..i need the lessons because my kid won't see the reps a west coaster may see...endless cycle.In the end...its just a race, with everyone trying to position their dd as best they can. I harbor no ill will toward someone who spends $200 week for lessons. Were all in the same race in the end.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am shocked at how this thread took off. Love all the comments. I started it because I am a man with a plan. My organization had a 12u travel team that failed terribly. They didn't fail on the field, they had a .500 season, they were a financial mess. A first year team and they went gung ho. Home and away uniforms, sweats, matching equipment bags. They lost almost 1K and the coaches had to pay it; it was only right, they caused the problem. I am going to restart the team this fall, after a 2 year absence. We are going to have try-outs/ practices from August till the weather turns. Then we will pick our 14 players. $200 each + $60 for rec ball ( don't want to kill our rec teams). One uniform, get your own equipment bag and if you want indoor time it's up to you. Fundraisers to increase our money pool and start in the early spring. With 3 to 4 tourneys, by the end of the season, each player should of played at least 35 games. Wish me luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez