Too much money involved, will ruin the sport in the long run.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Very simple. Lessons, travel team fees, etc. Where is there a place for all the kids that can't afford it. If only the ones who parents can afford it play, numbers will go down and the sport will DIE. I know this is a skill sport, being a good athlete isn't just going to make you a good player. there has to be a better way.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think any popular youth sport in America has died because it became too expensive. And I don't think softball is as expensive as many other youth sports at the higher levels. For $2,000, you can get 60 games, free team coaching, a little bit of individual instruction and a $300 bat. I've known elite tennis players to spend $10,000 + per year.

And what are ways that the costs can be reduced? The only thing that I don't see in softball that I saw in tennis is help from the national governing body. The US Tennis Association has scholarships and grants and camps for promising players who can't afford it. But the USTA also has the US Open, which generates millions of dollars. USA Softball doesn't have the kind of money.

I do appreciate the point you're making about parents who can't afford it, though. It's certainly true that money is sometimes a factor in what players develop and which ones don't - especially pitchers. We can see that in the demographics of the high school state champions in many sports. I just don't know what can be done about it. There's not enough business out there yet for pro coaches such that they can do too much for free.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
These costs have been around for a couple of decades, at least. My oldest is 28, so I know that it was pretty expensive at least 18 years ago. Try having 3 kids in sports and think of the cost.

I do agree that it is outrageous, but equipment doesn't have to be. I just picked up a 30,20 Catalyst for a 10YO, that was $75.00. She is thrilled.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Very simple. Lessons, travel team fees, etc. Where is there a place for all the kids that can't afford it. If only the ones who parents can afford it play, numbers will go down and the sport will DIE. I know this is a skill sport, being a good athlete isn't just going to make you a good player. there has to be a better way.

There are many, many sports way more expensive than softball not that softball is cheap when you want to play at the more competitive levels. Ice Hockey comes to mind. When I talk to parents with kids in Gymnastics and Dance the cost is unbelievable (one of my co-workers spend $15,000 on costumes alone for dance this year)

You can play in our rec league for less than $200 registration and $75 in equipment (cheap bat, glove, helmet). For 20 games that is dirt cheap. We even have a scholarship program for people who can't afford registration costs. You don't HAVE to do travel or buy $300 bats or whatever to enjoy the sport.

On top of that we have two annual used equipment drives which provides equipment to leagues in the area and other countries who are less fortunate than us. And as a more fortunate league we also invite the other local leagues to come join us when we have free clinics locally.

I think the entry point for the game is very reasonable and then how much you invest is really up to the family. Maybe the cost of the highest end of the travel spectrum is out of reach financially for many, but that can be said of literally every sport. And also if you are THAT good you will be noticed even if you are not visiting 10 states on your GOLD team schedule.

May 1, 2011
I, personally, do not have a money tree in my back yard. Both DD's have had a few lessons, and that is mainly due to both of us getting frustrated with one another, and thinking that an outsider would help. In both instances it did, but in the past 18 months, I have spent as much time as possible researching and learning as much about this game as I can so that I can be our own private instructor. Both have responded well to Coach Dad. However, there are some that are not as eager. And, that's ok. Not everyone has to be a softball addict. I think that there could be more involvement by Highschools and Highschool players to be quite honest with you. Even some players that just graduated from Highschool. I graduated from Highschool, and while I was going to school, was a Graduate Assistant at my highschool coaching Football and Baseball. I learned SO MUCH. I know that highschools put on little camps, and that's nice, but I don't think it's enough.

Probably one of the biggest beefs I have right now is with a particular highschool coach. Our Travel Ball team is part of an organization ranging from 18u Gold to 8u (go ahead and laugh, it's ok). Our particular team is a first year 10u team, and we've had some difficulty making the transition (if you've read other posts, you know what I'm talking about). The 12u team is coached by a very successful highschool coach who's daughter has already signed a commitment to attend one of the 8 Universities that will be in OKC this next weekend. Needless to say, the guy knows what he's doing. Recently, during one of our practices, he was sitting behind the backstop talking to my wife about how wasteful our practices are, and how our team will never get better like that. He then turned, and walked away. Why didn't he walk out on the field and talk to all of us (the coaches). After my wife told me that, I had a hard time not throwing out some nasty email to the guy, but that's not me. Our hearts are all in the right place. We are geniuinely trying to help make these girls better, but Mr. High and Mighty would rather just stare and shake his head, than help us make them successful. Just a prime example of an opportunity that wasn't taken advantage of, and a chance for our girls to get some FREE professional instruction, or at the very least, for the coaches to get some schooling from someone that gets paid to do what we happily do for FREE. Gotta have the people that have the knowledge be more willing to share said knowledge, and not charge and arm and a leg to do so. I know that Private Coaches make their living that way, but if given the opportunity, share the wealth. This problem goes farther than just softball. Where have all the good people on this Earth gone?

I'm off my soap box now. Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread, but I thought it did pertain somewhat.

Josh

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is it possible the OP was referring more toward the ability to get involved in travel ball and partake in the recruiting process?

Some just are not aware of softball outside of their world which is relatively natural.

To have a rec league, you have to have enough wiling participants. This is clearly seen in the adult FP game. In many parts of this country, such a league just isn't sustainable. For those without the support of a local league, it can be very difficult and expensive to get into the TB systems. The equipment and expense of travelling for almost every game can be straining on the families.

This happens in more places than most of us want to know about.

Then there is the absurdity of the cost which is, as I think the OP is making, way beyond reasonable. It has gotten out of hand and not just the youth game level.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Softball has exploded in the last few years and dues keep going up along with it. It survived the recession, and it's still probably pretty cheap compared to alot of other team sports. I don't see the numbers dropping any time soon because of money. Other sports that arnt as skill specific will probably do more damage to the numbers playing than money.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I, personally, do not have a money tree in my back yard. Both DD's have had a few lessons, and that is mainly due to both of us getting frustrated with one another, and thinking that an outsider would help. In both instances it did, but in the past 18 months, I have spent as much time as possible researching and learning as much about this game as I can so that I can be our own private instructor. Both have responded well to Coach Dad. However, there are some that are not as eager. And, that's ok. Not everyone has to be a softball addict. I think that there could be more involvement by Highschools and Highschool players to be quite honest with you. Even some players that just graduated from Highschool. I graduated from Highschool, and while I was going to school, was a Graduate Assistant at my highschool coaching Football and Baseball. I learned SO MUCH. I know that highschools put on little camps, and that's nice, but I don't think it's enough.

Probably one of the biggest beefs I have right now is with a particular highschool coach. Our Travel Ball team is part of an organization ranging from 18u Gold to 8u (go ahead and laugh, it's ok). Our particular team is a first year 10u team, and we've had some difficulty making the transition (if you've read other posts, you know what I'm talking about). The 12u team is coached by a very successful highschool coach who's daughter has already signed a commitment to attend one of the 8 Universities that will be in OKC this next weekend. Needless to say, the guy knows what he's doing. Recently, during one of our practices, he was sitting behind the backstop talking to my wife about how wasteful our practices are, and how our team will never get better like that. He then turned, and walked away. Why didn't he walk out on the field and talk to all of us (the coaches). After my wife told me that, I had a hard time not throwing out some nasty email to the guy, but that's not me. Our hearts are all in the right place. We are geniuinely trying to help make these girls better, but Mr. High and Mighty would rather just stare and shake his head, than help us make them successful. Just a prime example of an opportunity that wasn't taken advantage of, and a chance for our girls to get some FREE professional instruction, or at the very least, for the coaches to get some schooling from someone that gets paid to do what we happily do for FREE. Gotta have the people that have the knowledge be more willing to share said knowledge, and not charge and arm and a leg to do so. I know that Private Coaches make their living that way, but if given the opportunity, share the wealth. This problem goes farther than just softball. Where have all the good people on this Earth gone?

I'm off my soap box now. Sorry if I hi-jacked the thread, but I thought it did pertain somewhat.

Josh

Preach on preacher! I think it's crazy sometimes what some people charge. But in the end you do what you gotta. Suppky and demand, I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619