Too much money involved, will ruin the sport in the long run.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Team bats would be a good idea. Then, you don't hurt anyone feelings when the family has bought the wrong bat. I have a family that just bought a 33 inch, 21 ounce Worth at Dicks, for a 14 YO that is 5'9" 200 lbs. Of course, they didn't ask for advice. The bat is way too light.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Cobra, The guy was out of line and blowing smoke. But, he can't just walk out on your field and offer advice. "Why didn't he walk out on the field and talk to all of us?" I tell every coach that I meet to buy me a Diet Pepsi and I will talk softball to them all day. They can ask any questions that they want. But, no they just go ahead a muddle along, without teaching sliding, bunting, base running, etc.

Then, my private student comes to lessons and asks if they should be sliding head first, 100% of the time. I ask "Why?" and they say because that is what they are being taught.

Keep asking questions. I bet that I learn something about softball, every day. You can never know it all. (Especially, when it comes to rules.)

May 1, 2011
Amy - I wouldn't expect him to just storm out onto the field, but rather slide through the gate, maybe watch a little, and then grab us whenever the girls were taking a water break or something. We're an organization is all. We love the fact that when we show up to a tournament, people are talking about us because the 12u girls are so good. DD's HC said it best (he's a Houston FireFighter). "If I saw him trying to fight a fire, I certainly wouldn't just sit back, and comment to someone how he's doing it wrong. I'd get out there and help him learn how to do it right." I understand one is life threatening, but you get my point.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Any sport any hobby, takes money to fuel that desire.

Fishing - rods, reels, lures.
Hunting - guns, ammo, license, hunting club dues
Etc.........

I use to drag race, that is the biggest money pit in the world. Motor alone was $30,000 ( very low compared to top fuel at $100,000 in motor ) and you're lucky if that motor will last one season. Plus the $7500 mid season for a refresh rebuild.

We learned to hit from my father, using a broom stick and a cork ball. ( the older members will remember that game ) No expensive hitting coach, just him teaching good mechanics and eye to hand quardination. Very inexpensive.

Learned to pitch from dad, no pitching lane or batting cage, just a homemade dirt mound and a horse barn to catch the balls. Both were good enough to get us both college scholarships.

Sure we played travel ball that helped too, but dollar for dollar it was probably half of what we invest now in DD. Most of that is due to the expansion in the market of good players, more competition for the limited slots to fill.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Amy - I wouldn't expect him to just storm out onto the field, but rather slide through the gate, maybe watch a little, and then grab us whenever the girls were taking a water break or something. We're an organization is all. We love the fact that when we show up to a tournament, people are talking about us because the 12u girls are so good. DD's HC said it best (he's a Houston FireFighter). "If I saw him trying to fight a fire, I certainly wouldn't just sit back, and comment to someone how he's doing it wrong. I'd get out there and help him learn how to do it right." I understand one is life threatening, but you get my point.

Go ahead with your initial plan and shoot him an email. Let him know that you heard he had some thoughts on how your team practices could be improved and that you would love to benefit from his experience and knowledge. See how he responds before you bury him. It wouldn't be uncommon if he had offered suggestions previously to other teams in your situation and got the classic "we know what we're doing and don't need your help" from the coaches who had been LL BB stars back in the days when their waist sizes didn't exceed their IQs.

3sDad

A team doesn't have to be that expensive...Personally I feel the coaches who require $XXX a weekend and expenses, has 10+ uniforms with matching everything, are a ripoff...buyer beware...Know one organization who require $$$$ up front to play, must attend 2 lessons a week at the teams complex at $$$$ per lesson, a camp at $$$$ 2x a year...a pile of uniforms at $$$$, All team apparel must be purchased thru the organization...Parents MUST wear team apparel...is just plain robbery...

Sep 17, 2009
Our Travel Ball team is part of an organization ranging from 18u Gold to 8u (go ahead and laugh, it's ok). Our particular team is a first year 10u team, and we've had some difficulty making the transition (if you've read other posts, you know what I'm talking about). The 12u team is coached by a very successful highschool coach who's daughter has already signed a commitment to attend one of the 8 Universities that will be in OKC this next weekend. Needless to say, the guy knows what he's doing. Recently, during one of our practices, he was sitting behind the backstop talking to my wife about how wasteful our practices are, and how our team will never get better like that. He then turned, and walked away. Josh

Sounds like you are not really part of an *organization* but rather a collection of teams, OR at least that's the way this particular coach sees it.

That's a shame, but common. Politics and egos keep many programs (including the one I've coached in for more than ten years) from being true organizations...As a coach, the only way to learn is beg, borrow, steal and ask for help, not necessarily in that order, and the only way to expedite it is if experienced coaches take the time out to help the new teams/coaches.

So...go to this guy's practice, sit on the sideline and steal from him. Maybe he'll even deign to talk to you/help you out. Regardless, you'll make your team better.

THEN, when you become more experienced, make sure you help the next coach : >

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Wow, I can't believe some of you have to pay that much. My dd played in an organization where we had to pay $1,200. We did have a silent auction with a trivia pursuit fundraiser as well as run one of the top tournaments in the St. Louis metro area to suppliment our fees. From that fee, my dd played some 80-90 games, had year round strength and speed training and had access to a 4 cage indoor hitting facility all year long. The team was coached by 3 former college coaches. For that fee, they also produced a very nice recruitment video as well as made college contacts.

May 1, 2011
We have the girls do speed an agility before every practice. Stretch, Run, Throw, Agilities take us about 30-40 minutes.

Josh