Recruiting in 2 sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2017
I have an 07 DD who is a multi sport athlete....Travel softball with a midwest org that we play showcases with. There is a push for building recruiting profiles and we have. She has a gmail specifically for it, a recruiting profile on Field Level, and a twitter page where she posts her softball clips and tags coaches...all the typical stuff for softball.

Here is the statement/question. She is also a very good wrestler and the idea of wrestling in college appeals to her also right now as a freshman. And FYI for the scholarship chasing parents....WAAAAAAAAY more money for Women's College Wrestling Scholarships than there is for Softball...but that is another story...send me a PM if you want to know what my girl wrestlers are getting offered right now (fall 22').

So here is the question/statement. DD wants to know if she can use same twitter page for her wrestling posts as she does for her softball recruiting or are softball coaches going to be turned off by that.... She has mentioned creating a new twitter for wrestling posts... But honestly wrestling doesn't recruit off twitter. I have been a HS Coach for almost 30 years and they recruit off of results. Wrestling just different in that way. I don't think we NEED to post stuff on twitter for wrestling, but I understand DD DESIRE to do so..even if it is a little bit ego. HOWEVER I don't want softball coaches to unfollow her because they don't want to see wrestling stuff on their timelines.

Any parents have any experience here with multi sport recruiting? If so, thanks in advance.

May 27, 2013
I assume you are talking D1 or D2 level wrestling as you mention athletic money? Are you thinking the same divisions for softball?

Honestly, not sure how that will play out. Most SB teams start their winter workouts during what would be the height of wrestling season. Plus fall SB season would be during wrestling pre-season workouts in the fall. Not sure how many schools (colleges) at that level would be ok with her doing both sports. Might want to pose that question to the schools she is interested in to see what their take on it would be before getting deep into the recruiting of both.

Aug 13, 2017
I assume you are talking D1 or D2 level wrestling as you mention athletic money? Are you thinking the same divisions for softball?

Honestly, not sure how that will play out. Most SB teams start their winter workouts during what would be the height of wrestling season. Plus fall SB season would be during wrestling pre-season workouts in the fall. Not sure how many schools (colleges) at that level would be ok with her doing both sports. Might want to pose that question to the schools she is interested in to see what their take on it would be before getting deep into the recruiting of both.
I am talking about D1 D2 D3 wrestling for girls has way more scholarship money than softball...in terms of how competitive it is in the environment. Obviously, as non-revenue sports, they have probably very close in terms of funding $. I am also a bit more knowledgeable about NAIA. For my DD...she/we are looking more at NAIA and D2 programs...

We will do SB training in the winter. We have hitting lessons already scheduled, we will do what we need to do other than not playing indoor tournaments. We will be wrestling those weekends. It really is no different than a girl playing basketball for the HS team.

For us personally I do not care what the D1 SB coaches think, because we aren't marketing her towards D1 SB. What I am wondering is, based on her using twitter to post her wrestling stuff just like she does SB during the showcases...will it turn off the NAIA coaches who currently follow her . Or...am I reading too much into it.

Nov 15, 2019
I'd use the same Twitter page for both. My daughter is a powerlifter and the softball coaches seem to like seeing that just as much as softball. On her Sports recruit page her lifting competition videos are watched just as much as her home runs.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
We will do SB training in the winter. We have hitting lessons already scheduled, we will do what we need to do other than not playing indoor tournaments. We will be wrestling those weekends. It really is no different than a girl playing basketball for the HS team.

I was referring to playing both sports in college, not what she’s doing now. Since you mentioned recruiting for both sports in the title of your post I (maybe wrongly) assumed you are trying to get her recruited for both sports, especially since you said her Twitter account is currently softball-based for recruiting. Was trying to gain a better understanding of your post to know how best to try and help with your question, as some college coaches might have an issue with an athlete competing in both sports in college since the seasons for those 2 specific sports tend to overlap. In other words meaning some schools might not consider recruiting her for both sports.

If she’s only looking to get recruited in wrestling then there probably wouldn’t be an issue using the same Twitter account as long as she makes it clear which sport she wants to be recruited for. College coaches tend to like multi sport HS athletes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was referring to playing both sports in college, not what she’s doing now. Since you mentioned recruiting for both sports in the title of your post I (maybe wrongly) assumed you are trying to get her recruited for both sports, especially since you said her Twitter account is currently softball-based for recruiting. Was trying to gain a better understanding of your post to know how best to try and help with your question, as some college coaches might have an issue with an athlete competing in both sports in college since the seasons for those 2 specific sports tend to overlap. In other words meaning some schools might not consider recruiting her for both sports.

If she’s only looking to get recruited in wrestling then there probably wouldn’t be an issue using the same Twitter account as long as she makes it clear which sport she wants to be recruited for. College coaches tend to like multi sport HS athletes.
I know a pretty dang good softball player in D2. She played Volleyball for one year and is no longer on the roster. I am surprised the softball coach let it go that long. Something to think about. If OP DD is actually trying to get recruited in both sports at the same school, you have limited the number of schools to get recruited at. I am assuming there are more college softball programs than college wrestling programs. I would imagine almost all coaches would steer clear and puts up a red flag. If she can do both, kudos! IMO, she will have to pick one sport to focus on.

Why wouldn't you just say how much they are offering. It shouldn't be a secret.

How many college scholarships are offered for wrestling?​

Looks like they give less D1 full schollies than softball. D2 they give 2 more than softball. Doesn't sound like WAY more.
Division LevelNumber of TeamsTotal Athletes in DivisionAverage Team SizeScholarships Limit Per TeamScholarship Limit Type
NCAA D1782,461329.9Equivalency
NCAA D2641,929339Equivalency
NCAA D31092,82827N/A
NAIA611,806318Equivalency
NJCAA628942120Equivalency
NCWA16265022N/A
Totals53610,56829

And FYI for the scholarship chasing parents....WAAAAAAAAY more money for Women's College Wrestling Scholarships than there is for Softball...but that is another story...send me a PM if you want to know what my girl wrestlers are getting offered right now (fall 22').

Aug 13, 2017
I know a pretty dang good softball player in D2. She played Volleyball for one year and is no longer on the roster. I am surprised the softball coach let it go that long. Something to think about. If OP DD is actually trying to get recruited in both sports at the same school, you have limited the number of schools to get recruited at. I am assuming there are more college softball programs than college wrestling programs. I would imagine almost all coaches would steer clear and puts up a red flag. If she can do both, kudos! IMO, she will have to pick one sport to focus on.

Why wouldn't you just say how much they are offering. It shouldn't be a secret.

How many college scholarships are offered for wrestling?​

Looks like they give less D1 full schollies than softball. D2 they give 2 more than softball. Doesn't sound like WAY more.
Division LevelNumber of TeamsTotal Athletes in DivisionAverage Team SizeScholarships Limit Per TeamScholarship Limit Type
NCAA D1782,461329.9Equivalency
NCAA D2641,929339Equivalency
NCAA D31092,82827N/A
NAIA611,806318Equivalency
NJCAA628942120Equivalency
NCWA16265022N/A
Totals53610,56829
She is not looking to play both sports in college. She has always planned/hoped/worked for playing college softball. She wants to be able to post wrestling clips to her social media and was worried about it turning off college softball coaches because "she is not singluarly focused on softball".

Many of the responses here diverted off of what the point of my question is. All I am asking is if anyone, as a parent, thought college coaches would be turned off seeing a bunch of HS wrestling clips on my 9th grade daughters twitter which she has started using this fall as a recruiting tool for softball. That is all I am asking.

Your chart is for Mens wrestling not women's. I am not arguing wresting over softball...I just threw that out there for discussion point. 15-20 years ago it was women's golf in college throwing money to anyone with a pulse. There are definitely MORE SB programs than womens wrestling programs right now. The candidate pool for wrestling scholarships however is infinitely smaller...

Why would I not post what kind of money colleges are offering my wrestlers? Is that what you are asking or were you asking about how many womens college teams offer $?

Thanks for the replies. Didn't intend for it to go different directions.

Update: Through friends on college campuses... 1 NAIA & 1 D2 Softball Head Coaches asked if it would turn them off to a potential recruit if that recruit was posting wrestling content...

"Be you! Post about wrestling! Most coaches, not all but most, want to see diversity in our athletes- meaning they play other sports! I think it is great!!!! " - NAIA Coach

"If I saw wrestling stuff on (DD name) twitter page, I would love it!!!" - D2 Coach

May 27, 2013
Here is the statement/question. She is also a very good wrestler and the idea of wrestling in college appeals to her also right now as a freshman. And FYI for the scholarship chasing parents....WAAAAAAAAY more money for Women's College Wrestling Scholarships than there is for Softball...but that is another story...send me a PM if you want to know what my girl wrestlers are getting offered right now (fall 22').

So here is the question/statement. DD wants to know if she can use same twitter page for her wrestling posts as she does for her softball recruiting or are softball coaches going to be turned off by that.... She has mentioned creating a new twitter for wrestling posts... But honestly wrestling doesn't recruit off twitter. I have been a HS Coach for almost 30 years and they recruit off of results. Wrestling just different in that way. I don't think we NEED to post stuff on twitter for wrestling, but I understand DD DESIRE to do so..even if it is a little bit ego. HOWEVER I don't want softball coaches to unfollow her because they don't want to see wrestling stuff on their timelines.

My apologies - I must have misread your initial post. Seemed like she was interested in wrestling in college by what you had typed. Sounds like she should run with it and Tweet away!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478