Too late for class of 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD is a 2019. Attended 10 camps this fall/winter and has interest on varying levels from D1's that haven't even began their 2018 verbals yet. There was one school in the Sun Belt that told us they are finalizing their 2019's this summer. The SEC is verbaling 2020's constantly as is the BIG 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 but they will likely verbal 10-15 girls in that class and only 5 might come to their school for different reasons.

Also look at the conference the school is in, if it's a top 5 conference then they are probably looking at 2019's and 2020's if they are mid to lower D1's they are probably looking at 2018's and maybe 2019's. Depending on the coach they might not be for verbals of 8th graders so ask that question at the camp. A question my DD asks at every camp unless asked before her turn is What class are you currently recruiting for, any quality coach will answer it with honesty.

Again don't discount D2 and D3 schools based on their division, most top D2 and D3 are competitive in tougher D1 conferences, provide a better academic environment (in some cases) and have less enrolment allowing for more professor interaction.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My DD 3 is class of 2020 as well. We haven't started the recruitment process for a lot of reasons, one of them being I'm hardly ever in town to help her out. Also she isn't a big stud blowing away much older girls --- yet. She tends to improve quite a bit, and to get better than girls who have been playing longer and used to be better. We have no idea how good she will get.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
According to Gold Fastpitch only 12 2020's have committed. I am sure there are more, but it is just the beginning for this class. The kids that verbal in 8th grade have to be something pretty special. Keep your blinders on and don't get caught up in the hype.

Mar 29, 2012
No it isn't to late, it's time to get your feet wet.

talked to several D1 coaches and they are done with 2016 and most are finished or finishing up 2017 and are engaged with 2018 now. While there are 2020 who have verbaled they are more rare than not and pretty much every college is going to have 2020 spots.

Most D2 and NAIA are still working on 2017 with a few looking for specific 2016 still and aren't really engaged with 2020 yet.

Jul 28, 2015
Ok my kid is still little and I don't know much about softball but what is the point of committing to a school as an 8th grader? The school won't really hold a scholarship for a commitment that doesn't pan out will they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
Again don't discount D2 and D3 schools based on their division, most top D2 and D3 are competitive in tougher D1 conferences, provide a better academic environment (in some cases) and have less enrolment allowing for more professor interaction.

D2 or D3 schools would NOT be competitive in the power five conferences. They might win a few fall scrmmages, but that's a far cry from being competitive over a full conference schedule. Mid major conferences, sure. SEC, Pac 12 or Big 12. No way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619