Tips for Tryout Season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Underground - I was answering catcher's mom. Is your DD trying out for 8U? If so, all she needs to do is show up and know what end of the bat to hold. Or are you and Catcher's mom talking about the same girl? I was giving advice for a much older player.

Jan 31, 2011
As a coach, I really look for hustle at try-outs. Walking is not impressive. Also, when instructions are given, make eye contact with the coach. Try your best, hold nothing back. I would rather see a kid dive for a ball out of her range than just let it go by...Seriously, someone will be watching the entire time. Be positive and above all, parents should be no where in sight! A kid will get overlooked faster than anything else if mom or dad are telling the kid what to do. Read the coaching section and see a common theme about parents...

Good luck & remember hustle!

Dec 11, 2010
Great post. Following question is for a first year 10u going to her first tryout.

Question: If you know the tryout includes hitting off a machine, how do you prepare? (I know, I know hit machine balls.....) Reason I ask: I pitch to my DD's. I have a machine that we rarely use except to throw fly balls and bunting. Like some other people here, it's my opinion they go backwards when they hit off my machine. If I start working on it and screw up the hitting form we worked so hard on, bad outcome. If we get there after hitting only pitched balls and she bombs on the machine because she isn't prepared, bad outcome.

Edited to add: Probably over thinking this. Should prob just set up the machine @ 35 mph and let her hit a few.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Great post. Following question is for a first year 10u going to her first tryout.

Question: If you know the tryout includes hitting off a machine, how do you prepare? (I know, I know hit machine balls.....) Reason I ask: I pitch to my DD's. I have a machine that we rarely use except to throw fly balls and bunting. Like some other people here, it's my opinion they go backwards when they hit off my machine. If I start working on it and screw up the hitting form we worked so hard on, bad outcome. If we get there after hitting only pitched balls and she bombs on the machine because she isn't prepared, bad outcome.

As a coach, I'm looking more at their mechanics and strength then I am at the actual outcome of their hits during a tryout. There just isn't enough time in a tryout to gauge a kid by their successes and failures hitting the ball, what you're looking at is mechanics and coach-ability. Especially in the 10u range, the coaches should try "teaching" a few things at the tryout to see how the kids grasp it. It may be a simple suggestion to how to stand or hold a bat, or a new skill entirely (like a hook slide).

For A ball, I'll be honest and say that in all likelihood, if you're willing to pay the fees, your kid will find a team. For B ball, your daughters skill will depend on how she stacks up with her peers and how much baggage her family carries.

-W

Dec 11, 2010
That all makes sense. I appreciate all of the info, really didn't know what to expect at all. ww.

Mar 5, 2010
Lets flip the coin on who's asking the questions. For the girls that do receive offers from teams. What are some questions the parents and player should ask? Not just the basic ones like... cost or practice times and location. Questions that will help to better compare teams. Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Question number 1 - Ask where your money goes. Do we see the bank statements? Is the team a not for profit?

I see too many coaches paying themselves for a volunteer position. I have no problem paying a few of the coaches expenses, but the parents need to know where their money is going, what happens to the money they have raised if their DD leaves the team and what happens to the equipment and remaining funds, if the team disbands.

Jan 24, 2011
Question number 1 - Ask where your money goes. Do we see the bank statements? Is the team a not for profit?

I see too many coaches paying themselves for a volunteer position. I have no problem paying a few of the coaches expenses, but the parents need to know where their money is going, what happens to the money they have raised if their DD leaves the team and what happens to the equipment and remaining funds, if the team disbands.

Wow , this sets a pretty negative tone right off the bat. If you are trying out for a team , the research about team reputation and operations should have already been done.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What is wrong with asking if you get to know where the money goes? And you do need to know if the team is a not for profit, so you could get some donations.

You could ask other parents if they know how the money is being spent. I just see too many families that are quitting jobs in order to run a softball league. They are paying themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi