Tips for Tryout Season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2010
Tryout season is fast upon us and I was wondering if any of you had any tips that you would like to share that help get your DD prepared and ready for what they might face.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Hustle from the time she gets there till the time the tryout is over. Tell your daughter tryouts are about standing out above the rest of the girls there. Tell her to have the mindset that she is going to out perform every other girl there and put forth her best effort to do so. Tryouts are not about blending in. They are about sticking out.

Jul 26, 2010
Go to a tryout for an age group ahead of what you really want to try out for first, and follow Sparky Guy's advice. When she goes to her real tryouts for her own age-group, she'll be better prepared.

-W

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
You have only one friend at the tryout... the coach of the team you are trying out for. Listen to what he says, do what he says, help him when you can, and smile alot.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
A buddy and I had DD's trying out for teams last August. I had made notes from previous tryouts and we put together a work out that simulated a tryout. Doing my best to approximate a similar number of reps for infield work, pop flys, batting, home to first running and any specialized work as DD and her friend are pitcher and catcher. This took all the surprise out of the tryout. When the day came they followed the workout almost to a T. DD said it was easy just like practicing with her friend.

What others have said about hustling is very important. Your DD is competing against every girl there and some that will come on another day, she needs to stand out. Being friendly to any girls they have there that are already on the team is a good idea. I'm not saying go looking for a new best friend but remind her to smile and say "Hey" or whatever you use there. Coaches will be watching to see how your DD interacts or doesn't.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Like all have said hustle. Kissing @ss always helps too. Interact with the coaches, show your game knowledge, ask if you can help or participate in all or any drills. Cheer on your fellow teammates. Help clean up after tryouts.

Nov 8, 2010
All great tips, thanks everyone!

DD is pretty jazzed about some of the tryouts slated for this season because there are a couple teams at the top of her list. A couple of others she's a little intimidated by as they are made up predominately of girls older than her. To those I just remind her that she was invited to those tryouts specifically based on those coaches having seen her play in the last season and that is one step in the right direction already. But the ones that really unnerve her are the private tryouts, all eyes on her. She holds up well but doesn't get much sleep the night before.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I think I see a big difference between programs in other areas. Most of ours here are open tryouts, nothing private. But my experience is limited and dd is young.
i still have trouble sleeping the night before tournaments. Not sure if it's nerves or being pumped. Perhaps both.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Make certain that she wears her ball pants and a normal t-shirt. No mid rift shirts and short shorts. Her hair needs to be back, before she gets there.

You would be surprised how many girls show up - and find out they left their glove in mom's car, etc.

Bring a igloo/thermos of water. Not a small bottle that you picked up at the gas station. It isn't enough.

Jog every where on the diamond, smile, compliment your competitors, and learn some names. I like it when someone asks what I like to be called, if I have forgotten to tell you. It would rare for someone to be Mr. _____, but if he is a local teacher, that might be the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1