Tips for Tryout Season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Very Important - leave her alone! If I see a parent trying to coach their DD during a tryout it is an immediate red flag. Parents need to sit in their chairs and stay quiet during tryouts.

Jul 26, 2010
Make certain that she wears her ball pants and a normal t-shirt. No mid rift shirts and short shorts. Her hair needs to be back, before she gets there.

You would be surprised how many girls show up - and find out they left their glove in mom's car, etc.

Bring a igloo/thermos of water. Not a small bottle that you picked up at the gas station. It isn't enough.

Jog every where on the diamond, smile, compliment your competitors, and learn some names. I like it when someone asks what I like to be called, if I have forgotten to tell you. It would rare for someone to be Mr. _____, but if he is a local teacher, that might be the case.

Also make sure the T-shirt isn't one from a rival travel team ;) Tournament t-shirts are good choices.

-W

Mar 15, 2010
Excellent advise so far. I agree that hustling, listening, interacting and giving your physical all are a given. Make sure your DD does not overlook the mental aspect as well. At every TB tryout I have held I take time with the players to ask several questions. When I have several players that are physically very close the answers to the questions are often the tie breaker:

Q: Why do you want to join this team?
Answers that don't help get you on the team:
A: My dad says it is the closest practice to our house
A: I don't know, I heard you needed a (insert position here) so I thought I would tryout
A: I am trying out for a bunch of teams, just covering all my bases.
Answers that help get you on the team (these fall under the previous comment that kiss a$$ helps)
A: I am looking for a competitive team that can use my talents and skills
A: I saw/played against your team and want to be part of this organization
A: Remember I pitched that no hitter against your team in XYZ tournament championship game (Yeah I remember and it still burns).

Oct 25, 2009
Excellent advise so far. I agree that hustling, listening, interacting and giving your physical all are a given. Make sure your DD does not overlook the mental aspect as well. At every TB tryout I have held I take time with the players to ask several questions. When I have several players that are physically very close the answers to the questions are often the tie breaker:

Q: Why do you want to join this team?
Answers that don't help get you on the team:
A: My dad says it is the closest practice to our house
A: I don't know, I heard you needed a (insert position here) so I thought I would tryout
A: I am trying out for a bunch of teams, just covering all my bases.
Answers that help get you on the team (these fall under the previous comment that kiss a$$ helps)
A: I am looking for a competitive team that can use my talents and skills
A: I saw/played against your team and want to be part of this organization
A: Remember I pitched that no hitter against your team in XYZ tournament championship game (Yeah I remember and it still burns).

An answer that will definitely put you at the head of the line: I'm your daughter, remember?

Added thought: Assuming your wife already knows that.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am advising to wear her pants. They are not hotter than those socks that go with shorts. My DD had to convince me of the necessity of pants, because I wore shorts, all of my playing career.

Jul 26, 2010
If she is trying out for the same org. she was with the previous year, what about wearing their jersey? How about all-star jersy from her rec. league? Should she wear pants in this heat, or will shorts be fine?

Pants and knee pads are advisable. I'd stay away from wearing their jersey, but an org t-shirt is fine. I'd stay away from all-star jersey's too, as a coach, I find them to be a bit of a turn-off, as the kids that are really proud of them are usually lesser players and the kids that take a "ho-hum" approach to their all star jersey's usually prove to have more ability. Just my experience though, and I'm threading a needle. Obviously if your kid can hit and hustle, she'll have no problem.

Can't stress hitting. If she can hit they'll find a place to hide her. Running is the next skill I look at. Speed wins.

-W

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Pants and knee pads are advisable. I'd stay away from wearing their jersey, but an org t-shirt is fine. I'd stay away from all-star jersey's too, as a coach, I find them to be a bit of a turn-off, as the kids that are really proud of them are usually lesser players and the kids that take a "ho-hum" approach to their all star jersey's usually prove to have more ability. Just my experience though, and I'm threading a needle. Obviously if your kid can hit and hustle, she'll have no problem.

Can't stress hitting. If she can hit they'll find a place to hide her. Running is the next skill I look at. Speed wins.

-W

It is the hitting that makes me nervous. She did extremely well at coach pitch(she is 8) and took hitting lessons until summer, while she played rec. ball(where pitching was horrible, even by rec ball standards). Unfortunately she will go back to hitting lessons after 2 of the 3 tryouts. She will have to hit off a machine at tryouts set on 35mph. She has had very limited experience with a machine( twice, the first time not so good, second very well). All the commercial batting cages around her only have slow pitch softball and baseball. Thought about taking her to baseball cage to see the speed, but worried the arm action will have her looking in the wrong place.
She will be playing up in fall ball to get use to kid pitch, but that doesn't help for tryouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24