HS pitching plans preseason/regular seasons!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
We have to combine MS/HS teams in the offseason just to have enough for 5 on 5 intrasquad. We do a lot of it, though. Keeps things more fun so they'll keep coming out.

I'm not opposed to the idea of it, though MS practicing with the HS team is a no-no here, and so is doing this kind of thing during the school year/out of season.

Anything outside of open field/gym and giving private lessons is not allowed here. I'm fine with that though. Most of our girls play volleyball, basketball, or both, and I wouldn't want to take away from their experiences with those sports (even if those experiences are objectively worse and most of them spend the whole fall and winter talking about wanting it to be softball season).

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I apologize for repeating myself but there is a very efficient way of getting your pitchers experience/work throwing to hitters. I've coached a year or two and have always thought that a bullpen is a place to work on pitches and throwing to hitters is how to work on game experience. I begin by throwing BP and my pitchers rotate in the bullpen with their game catcher. When that pitcher is about halfway through their workout, they come to me and I go behind a screen on the side situated in a place where I am safe but can talk to the catcher. The catcher and I work on how to call a game, the pitcher throws to hitters and the hitter works on hitting. After getting their work in, the catcher and pitcher go back to the bullpen to wrap up work. I resume BP until the next pitcher is ready. The catcher then rotates in with another pitcher in the bullpen. In our system, pitchers typically will throw 40-50 pitches. I keep 3 batters ready to hit. Three players are shagging. The rest of the team is in our two cages. Then, we rotate. Hitters hitting BP to the cage. Shaggers to BP, and three from the cage to shag. Everyone is on the run when we switch. I fill in by throwing BP at all times.

Keep in mind that in doing this, you have to get that catcher's good ABs in practice against better pitching. That isn't always easy but it is mandatory. Catchers in our system know that they will get good BP opportunities and will be taken care of. There are times through the week when we ask others to catch to give our catchers a small break and allow them to play other positions.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
When that pitcher is about halfway through their workout, they come to me and I go behind a screen on the side situated in a place where I am safe but can talk to the catcher. The catcher and I work on how to call a game, the pitcher throws to hitters and the hitter works on hitting.

When you have the pitchers throwing to hitters, do you do simulated innings? Or do you just have hitters get x number of pitches/swings before rotating out?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When you have the pitchers throwing to hitters, do you do simulated innings? Or do you just have hitters get x number of pitches/swings before rotating out?
No, we don't. Maybe we should. Instead, we have so many players active and doing things that for us, this is the most efficient way for us to practice.

Jan 25, 2022
I'm not opposed to the idea of it, though MS practicing with the HS team is a no-no here, and so is doing this kind of thing during the school year/out of season.

Anything outside of open field/gym and giving private lessons is not allowed here. I'm fine with that though. Most of our girls play volleyball, basketball, or both, and I wouldn't want to take away from their experiences with those sports (even if those experiences are objectively worse and most of them spend the whole fall and winter talking about wanting it to be softball season).
These are open practices. No one has to attend. Hence why we're getting 10 on a good day with the teams combined. It's the only way we can keep up with teams full of kids who play travel in the offseason. This is a super small town, though. We certainly stay within the rules and all, but on a person to person level I'd say we operate a little more independently.

Apr 28, 2014
In PA our HS team practiced 2-3 days per week from mid September till it got too cold to go outside. Then inside 2 days per week until March 15 when the season started. The team worked... led to a great deal of success.
As far as pitching, have them throw 100 pitches 3 times per week for the 6 weeks. Goal is to improve stamina and pitch location. To be successful at the HS level pitchers can get by locating 80% of their pitches. Championship teams can win 2-1 games that can go 12-13 innings. Need the stamina and spot location. If a pitcher can throw a devastating change up you will beat 95% of teams you face. Yet so many pitchers lack a great change up. Teach them the change up!

Nov 9, 2021
Do you call pitches and location or just have pitchers throw bp fastballs?

I was given advice early on to never allow my DD who pitches to just throw straight BP. We throw to live batters in practice but they get a count and we switch batters after every count. Girls can bat multiple times against her but each time is treated like a normal at bat. It keeps the pitchers working on what they need to and the batters get real at bats. It has worked well for us.

He advised that because he didn’t think it was good for pitchers to get used to just throwing down the middle. I kind of agree with that line of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Do you call pitches and location or just have pitchers throw bp fastballs?
I don't know who this response is aimed at. If it is me, then this part of the practice is for the pitcher. The catcher and I talk about calling the game and the hitter, catcher and pitcher approach this as at-bats.

Apr 8, 2019
I was given advice early on to never allow my DD who pitches to just throw straight BP. We throw to live batters in practice but they get a count and we switch batters after every count. Girls can bat multiple times against her but each time is treated like a normal at bat. It keeps the pitchers working on what they need to and the batters get real at bats. It has worked well for us.

He advised that because he didn’t think it was good for pitchers to get used to just throwing down the middle. I kind of agree with that line of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol! you have more than 1 pitcher in HS? There is no way my DD team could do this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles