Tips for switching to a National Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2016
Yep that's exactly why coaches say sending your schedule to them is very important, and they waste their weekends hanging out at the big TB tourneys, and the top fields get the majority of coaches watching. That's all just secondary to a few reps at a camp......
As I said, just my opinion. Have been through the process and DD had played on a national team. She committed while on a regional team and low and behold, coaches come to those as well if they believe you're talented.

May 17, 2023
As I said, just my opinion. Have been through the process and DD had played on a national team. She committed while on a regional team and low and behold, coaches come to those as well if they believe you're talented.

I will agree that players thinking about going to a local D2/D3/NAIA they are not getting good exposure for the cost. At least in our area those coaches aren't making the trek to CO, CA, or IN. They are mostly scouting regional tourneys.

May 20, 2016
I will agree that players thinking about going to a local D2/D3/NAIA they are not getting good exposure for the cost. At least in our area those coaches aren't making the trek to CO, CA, or IN. They are mostly scouting regional tourneys.
And i'd set some money on outside of the top 30 club teams in the country, 40-60% of the kids on the national teams go to those schools or mid to lower D1 schools that could have been achieved anyway without spending a ton of money.

And not saying people shouldn't play on national. To each their own. Personally i just didn't see the value.

Jul 18, 2022
Mine did.

Our org had open tryouts also (12u&14u, 16u&18u). I think it's smart. Yes, you probably know who you want to pull from your existing teams, but it doesn't hurt to see if there's other talent either wanting to move orgs or levels.

And no, don't feel hurt if you don't get an offer. :\

Jun 8, 2016
Whether your team and college goals match up is important but it isn't the only thing. Games are tests. My kid has some talent and works hard and likes to take "hard" tests... 🤷‍♂️. Nobody should be doing any of this if they are not putting money aside for college anyway..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
And guess what! Those so called proven players on the shiny sparkler National teams don't pan out when they get to college. I was just checking on a local player that was at UT then transferred to mid major down the road. When I looked at her stats for 2023, I was actually shocked. I would have thought she would have dominated. Not so much. Find the right fit for both TB team and college program. Lots of reasons to go one way or another. Do you due diligence.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
so basically you incorrectly evaluated her talent/skillset just like everybody else did... ;) (unless there were other mitigating factors which caused the poor play..)
Based on the TB team she played for. Sounds like Mike Smith made incorrect evaluation.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06