Time off and Staying sharp for college camps at the same time? How?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
I'm trying to determine how to balance rest for DD with her (and my) desire for her to be sharp at some upcoming college camps. Would appreciate some helpful thoughts from those who have already been through this.

Like many here, after DD's last fall tournament each year, we shut down for a while to rest the pitching arm, and then to give some serious time to winter conditioning. But for the first time this winter we're planning to hit several college camps, mostly in January (but one in December). Obviously, she wants to be sharp while pitching at the camps, but just as mindful of proper body care. Here's what we're thinking for now: shut down for two or three weeks. Around 2nd week of December come back to lessons plus one day per week of pitching practice. In late December add a second day per week of practice. In mid January go to 3 days per week of pitching practice. Wouldn't that lighten the load without allowing the usual rust. Plus I wouldn't want to hit a college camp and try to pitch with an arm that is out of shape as well as rusty.

It should help that she had a strangely light summer. Her team finished playing at the end of June. Due to some unusual and unexpected family circumstances she spent 5 of the next 6 weeks traveling to grandparents and others, including a week at church camp. Almost no softball activity anywhere in there. This fall the seemingly constant rain around here has cancelled numerous practices and even a couple of tournaments, although we have several personal practices indoors. These circumstances will likely never repeat themselves, but this year at least, maybe she doesn't need as much rest as usual. Her PC is very protective; he feels her light summer provided enough rest that she shouldn't have to shut down totally this winter. But he would like her to ease up some.

Now, I can imagine a lot of folks being very passionate about this issue, so before you post, ask yourself: "Am I adding heat to the conversation, or am I adding light?" Light is welcome. Heat, not so much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32