Tilted Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2015
Agree, love the Zepp. Besides the speed/angle stats, I love the ability to take video of a swing and then watch it frame by frame, forward or back. I can see stuff that I miss when watching full speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Does anyone have any drills to help with not dropping the hands? Anything else we need to focus on? Below is a hitting video from this evening. Thanks for all the input and help.
[video=youtube_share;95P4Jfn3RmU]http://youtu.be/95P4Jfn3RmU[/video]

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
2yperrk.gif

CP

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Stiff lead arm driving her hands down. Looks good right up to the point where she locks her lead elbow

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Stiff lead arm driving her hands down. Looks good right up to the point where she locks her lead elbow

I have noticed that arm stiffening up but didn't really equate that to the hands lowering but now I totally see it. So basically, she needs to "unlock" that left arm. Her question to me will be.....how bent does the left arm need to be??? Is there an optimal angle or does the left arm just need to be relaxed? My lack of knowledge and experience with proper hitting mechanics is catching up to me!! Thanks for the help.

Sep 8, 2015
The quick answer is about 90 degree bend, but I don't think there is a universal answer on how much bend she needs. It depends a lot on how her body moves (and how the rest of her body moves through the swing). That's a good place to start, but you may have to get there slowly. I wouldn't want to wreck her swing (or confidence) chasing "textbook" form.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have noticed that arm stiffening up but didn't really equate that to the hands lowering but now I totally see it.
It doesn't cause the hands to drop.
mannysameold.gif

Your DD drops her hands because she has a 'level to the ball' swing.
tumblr_nu9oowqjk91usf292o1_250.gif

DD needs to learn to keep the hands here:
CPujolsSwivel.gif

CCabreraSwivel.gif

I would set up a high tee and learn to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. I believe from a high tee it is easier to learn.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have noticed that arm stiffening up but didn't really equate that to the hands lowering but now I totally see it. So basically, she needs to "unlock" that left arm. Her question to me will be.....how bent does the left arm need to be??? Is there an optimal angle or does the left arm just need to be relaxed? My lack of knowledge and experience with proper hitting mechanics is catching up to me!! Thanks for the help.

The process of throwing/whipping the barrel will often result in the lead arm straightening through (or shortly after) contact.

Miggy_060615.gif

Donaldson_GHWR_052615_close.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

The "optimal angle" will vary on pitch location. One of the most important jobs of the hands is to find the ball. If the pitch is low and outside, the hands need to reach (lengthen the bat) in order to hit the ball. If the pitch is high and inside, the hands need to remain tight (shorten the bat) in order to hit the ball. As the location changes, our reach changes, and therefore the angle of the front arm will change. Although I am typically not a "drill guy", it may be beneficial to have her do some one arm (bottom hand) drills to get the feeling of it. I have also done this with a tennis racket and a tennis ball asking DD to focus on working her back hand but being "short to the ball".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c.king01