Throwing Routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
To each his own. I enjoy hearing what everyone does for throwing. Keep it coming

Care to hazard a guess as to why Candrea's players don't do what he teaches with regards to hitting or throwing? Wouldn't the mark of a great coach be that his players actually do what he wants them to do?

Talking with regards to mechanics. I am sure Candrea is an awesome coach in the many other very important aspects of the game.

Oct 25, 2009
Care to hazard a guess as to why Candrea's players don't do what he teaches with regards to hitting or throwing? Wouldn't the mark of a great coach be that his players actually do what he wants them to do?

Talking with regards to mechanics. I am sure Candrea is an awesome coach in the many other very important aspects of the game.

Not necessarily. Not any more than it would be the mark of a great player if they did.

Jan 24, 2011
OK guys , please dont turn this thread into a debate about which philosophy or coach is correct. I started the thread to just ask how coaches go through a throwing routine with their particular teams.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
OK guys , please dont turn this thread into a debate about which philosophy or coach is correct. I started the thread to just ask how coaches go through a throwing routine with their particular teams.

Sorry Cyclone, I get worked up about this because I have to work with coaches in my league who act as if Candrea is Moses handing down the tablets.

It's not about which philosophy is correct at all. If we look at Candrea and his team in a vacuum the question is why does he not try to fix his players from their bad habits?

The question is what do you believe in, the skills that Candrea talks about or the skills his players use?

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry Cyclone, I get worked up about this because I have to work with coaches in my league who act as if Candrea is Moses handing down the tablets.

It's not about which philosophy is correct at all. If we look at Candrea and his team in a vacuum the question is why does he not try to fix his players from their bad habits?

The question is what do you believe in, the skills that Candrea talks about or the skills his players use?

I believe that there is always more than one way to get it done effectively , whether it hitting or throwing. I figure , that by the time Candrea gets these players , they basically throw the way they throw and have been succesful. If they are effective at what the do (conventional or not) , why would you "fix" anything? The only time to change anything would be if the current method used isnt producing results. I also dont believe that he would teach something that he didnt feel to be correct. I think most of his video instruction is geared toward teaching the younger player. Some may not agree with what he teaches , but they dont have to.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009

My issue is that, at a minimum, he's wasting the time of coaches and getting them all worked up over nothing. I know guys who spend a lot of time trying to get their girls to throw the "right" way when, in truth, their arm action is already OK (but the first thing they need to focus on is getting sideways to the target).

Worst case, he's contributing to injuries.

There's also the issue that he doesn't look at video and has no idea what his own players actually do.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
That's great, but no good throwers actually throw this way.

That includes Candrea's players.

I am really sorry to hijack the thread but. . .RANT ON!

It's fine that you disagree, but instead of just spouting off of that's wrong please provide a better way of doing it.

That is what is so wrong with a lot of the "so called" experts here they just say it's wrong and don't provide any solution. Many of us are willing to learn. Please give us a better way!

I see many that are willing to provide solutions to a lot of the questions that are asked here that what work for them, they give examples and are willing to discuss, but many of you just come up and over take the entire thread and only provide "that's not how the professionals do it" then giive a lot of big long winded mumbo jumbo trying to impress each other. But you know what, a lot of us are working with the kids and don't have the time to pontificate about all the different whizing contests that go on here!

Just supply some meat with those potatoes, man! ;-)

I have been reading these boards since the days of the old fastpitch forum with Gene and a lot of the other old dogs. This board is a great place and i think it really embraces a lot of the good things about a "free exchange of ideas" but if you really want to contribute provide some substance please. Sorry! END OF RANT!

So Chris what would you use as a warm up?

Jan 24, 2011
My issue is that, at a minimum, he's wasting the time of coaches and getting them all worked up over nothing. I know guys who spend a lot of time trying to get their girls to throw the "right" way when, in truth, their arm action is already OK (but the first thing they need to focus on is getting sideways to the target).

Worst case, he's contributing to injuries.

There's also the issue that he doesn't look at video and has no idea what his own players actually do.

My issue is that , he is by no means the only MAJOR coach to teach throwing this exact same way. I have personally heard and seen others that do the same thing. Can they all really be wrong? I highly doubt it. Once again , I posted this thread to see what everyone uses as a warm up. I really dont care if you like Candrea and what he teaches or not. Quite frankly , I didnt ask that question

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
I am really sorry to hijack the thread but. . .RANT ON!

It's fine that you disagree, but instead of just spouting off of that's wrong please provide a better way of doing it.

Have them show the ball to 3B as if they were a baseball pitcher.

That's what most kids do naturally, which is why this is mostly a no-teach.

Oct 12, 2009
My issue is that , he is by no means the only MAJOR coach to teach throwing this exact same way. I have personally heard and seen others that do the same thing. Can they all really be wrong? I highly doubt it. Once again , I posted this thread to see what everyone uses as a warm up. I really dont care if you like Candrea and what he teaches or not. Quite frankly , I didnt ask that question

Pretty much everybody teaches throwing this way, but nobody's bothered to check if good players actually do this.

And they don't.

I'm passionate about this because it's ruining the elbows of baseball pitchers.

Maybe it's less of an issue for fast pitch position players, but it needs to be stomped out because it's at least a waste of people's time and causes needless worry. Again, I know guys who have devoted HOURS of practice time to getting their kids to throw the "right" way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom