Throwing Routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Pretty much everybody teaches throwing this way, but nobody's bothered to check if good players actually do this.

And they don't.

I'm passionate about this because it's ruining the elbows of baseball pitchers.

Maybe it's less of an issue for fast pitch position players, but it needs to be stomped out because it's at least a waste of people's time and causes needless worry. Again, I know guys who have devoted HOURS of practice time to getting their kids to throw the "right" way.

Chances are , whatever their kids were doing to begin with wasnt working , so they sought out a method of teaching and decided to try it. I wish you well on your crusade , but just because you dont agree , doesnt mean it is wrong

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Pretty much everybody teaches throwing this way, but nobody's bothered to check if good players actually do this.

And they don't.

I'm passionate about this because it's ruining the elbows of baseball pitchers.

Maybe it's less of an issue for fast pitch position players, but it needs to be stomped out because it's at least a waste of people's time and causes needless worry. Again, I know guys who have devoted HOURS of practice time to getting their kids to throw the "right" way.

I can understand about the ball facing third. However, have you ever heard the term " throw like a girl"?

Many females need the cue "ball away" to get the ball back and away to lift the elbow above the shoulder to be able to throw instead of shot putting the ball. What I have learned is that the farther away the ball is from the body (elbow, etc.) the more stress is put on the elbow and shoulder. The ball away drill makes sure we get some sort of alignment going on.

Here is an example. A couple of years ago my elbow and shoulder was really bothering me, so much so, that I couldn't throw or play tennis at all. (I know big bummer!) In my job, I use a computer mouse all day. I figured out that I had my mouse pad too far extended to the right--I moved it so it was directly in front of my shoulder. No more pain.

Again it works for me.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
OK guys , please dont turn this thread into a debate about which philosophy or coach is correct. I started the thread to just ask how coaches go through a throwing routine with their particular teams.

IMO, knowing the WHAT and HOW without knowing the WHY is a mistake at best, and potentially dangerous at worst.

Jan 24, 2011
IMO, knowing the WHAT and HOW without knowing the WHY is a mistake at best, and potentially dangerous at worst.

Once I hear / see WHAT everyone is doing , I can then ask WHY if their is something that I dont quite get the reasoning for. But ,your opinion has been noted. Now , lets move on with the original subject of the thread.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I think there is an effort to answer your question but that doesn't mean others can't comment on whether it's good or not. That was part of the question IMO. One thing that is certain on here, and in the sport generally, there aren't many cut and dry answers.

Jan 24, 2011
I just dont want the thread to be another opportunity for some of the "experts" to promote their own personal cause. I do believe there is a place for all the technical analysis , but not in every single thread. I am just interested in hearing what others do to warm up that works for them

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Girls do tend to have the ball way too low. And they show it to home as well. Young girls. I am guessing that having them raise the arm extra high and trying to have them show it all the way to 2nd is maybe an attempt to overcompensate, and then hope that they will land somewhere in the middle. Seems sort of goofy, why not say having your arm straight above your head with the ball turned toward 1st is correct? That would be ridiculous, but no less incorrect, and it would be the same thing where you are trying to fix things by overcompensation in the other direction.

Specifically I think what people complain about this method is that the elbow is too high, and the ball need only be shown to 3rd. Also, I have pointed out from that one Candrea vid, is that if you have kids only step at 45' like he demonstrates, then notice the immediate pivot on the toe he does to achieve a greater angle.

Finally, I see coaches who will put kids into a statue of liberty pose, with the elbow high, and the ball to 2nd. They will stress this so much that I have seen teams of kids who all will actually internally rotate their arms into this position, pause, and then try to throw. Which isn't surprising given what they've been taught.

A hard thing about throwing is that it is a fluid, continuous motion. To the person asking about the right way, the best I've seen is go back and look at these sorts of threads. There are two basic branches there. One is where you need to externally rotate the arms, and then everything is fired off of the front thigh turning, or rolling over. O'Leary cites a study and believes in internally rotating the arm, I believe, but still getting to a similar position. I'm sure he'll jump in if I've misrepresented that.

It's not completely clear and easy to follow. It's too bad but I'm not sure anyone has explained it in super simple terms, which may not be possible because it's not super simple.

Jan 24, 2011
ONCE AGAIN , I ask that the posts in this thread be limited to the original subject matter. Technical info can be put into some other thread.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp