Throwing Routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
This is what I use for 10u on up and adjust the number of throws depending on what we need to work on or how much time we have before the game.

With Partners after dynamic warm up (done as a team together, straight lines--takes longer at first, but with 10U team towards the end of the year about 10 minutes).

Wrist Snaps 10 each (up and down line check each player)
Knee Throws 10 each –work on rotation and follow through - Thumb from hip
Knee Throws 10 each –work on rotation and follow through - Thumb from chest
Throwing – step, step, throw (Think about form) 10 each Thumb from hip
Throwing – step, step, throw (Think about form) 10 each Thumb from chest
Long throw – take two steps back after each throw. Follow through should be lower and lower, when they are far enough, take two steps closer until face to face.
Ball Away – Team throwing, 1 player from each line on their turn says BALL AWAY, THROW; another player counts throws; another player counts drops -- work on getting the ball in the away position, receiving ball in front, step up to get throw at a quick pace. Down and back is 1; 10 throws total, push ups for drops (5 for each drop) if team has 0, coach does push ups.

Then pick one of the following: I rotate them in the practice plans. Earlier in the year, I pick one to do at each tournament before the first game. I have a few others, such as around the horn and star drills that I also use. Add 5-10 minutes to above.

Corners (call names out)– three groups of four each. Each group in a square about 30ft apart, work on receiving ball two hands in heel of glove and shifting body weight to throw (clockwise) done very quickly (10 x). Reverse direction (counter clockwise), work on turning to glove side. Move in closer and work on tosses, underhand, reverse to work on backhand toss.

Relay (contest)- Three or more players are spaced up to 50 feet apart from each other. Players make relay throws to each other being sure to turn towards the glove side as they throw to the next player in line. Last person turns glove side all the way around and throws back to the player she received the ball from and then runs all the to the beginning of the line, everyone moves back one place and the throws continues until back to the beginning, players sit when ball comes back to the beginning. First team to sit down wins. Winner picks game to do at the end of practice.

Roll and go. Form a Square with 4 players: Player with ball rolls grounder to glove side calling their name: "Fielder throws ball to player diagonally across and calls name. Keep going.

Quick hands and feet (contest) – Partner about 20ft apart, make a quick-short toss to partner who works on shuffling feet and at the same time catching ball on the outside of glove with both hands 10 throws (each throw counts) counting out loud, first team to sit down wins. Winner picks game to do at the end of practice.

Throw and go. Works best with uneven number. Partners across. To begin, extra player is at the end of the line (with no partner). Players throw in RHYTHM (should only hear the sound of one ball hitting gloves) after the throw players in the line with extra player rotate to next partner (to right) player at the end races to front of line (behind the line of throwers) in time to catch throw from line that doesn’t move. Go until back to the beginning.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I study this guy's program. Jaeger Sports Alan will talk your arm off, on the phone if you have questions. After rehabbing my shoulders (each one), about 10 years ago, this is what keeps my shoulders healthy. Also, the instruction that I received from Dr. Adair in Springfield, IL. has helped immensely. I have long tossed for many years and it can take a toll, if done incorrectly. But, it is what I do for fun. An awful lot of softball players can't throw accurately, and they talk about this at UofA's coaches clinics. They have said, in the past, that they actually have to re-teach the art of playing catch, with these D1 athletes.

Sep 17, 2009
some great stuff in this thread to steal. three to add:

- four corners (plus) - we started doing a ton of work out of four corners this summer. we start with "short" four corners and work on underhand toss and backhand toss, first with just throws then we add grounders in one direction, tosses in the other. in our short box we also do overhand rock and fire and darts, going in each direction. again, first off all throws then adding grounders. All of these are moves they will make occasionally in games and usually never drill. we then go back to 60-foot four corners and throw both directions with different inside/outside pivots. nothing beats all that throwing and catching if done at high intensity

- i like the star drill too. add two balls as soon as you can. we had our more advanced group do three balls recently, they loved it.

- i like two groups facing each other about 60 feet, start with run down drills back and forth, add grounders with split step and grounders with run-throughs, this is a great pre-game warmup

- we do regular throwing progressions too like some have outlined above, we stress it's up to the girls to get benefit out of those drills.

Oct 12, 2009
Ball Away – Team throwing, 1 player from each line on their turn says BALL AWAY, THROW; another player counts throws; another player counts drops -- work on getting the ball in the away position, receiving ball in front,

If this is what I think it is, it significantly raises the risk of elbow problems.

It's a stupid baseball thing that's seeping over into softball.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
This is what I follow and teach.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PwWn9yD6-MQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Also: Place just as much emphasis on receiving the throw as throwing itself!

Jul 5, 2011
Lots of good drills posted so far, most of which I have used at one point or another. A couple more I use from time to time is two ball catch and quick-throw drill.

The two ball catch is self-explanatory. On the quick throw, I'll either have two players catch and throw to each other as quickly as possible (sometimes I use a stopwatch for competition), or I'll stagger the girls and feed balls at one end and collect them at the other.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
That's great, but no good throwers actually throw this way.

That includes Candrea's players.

Come now Chris, are you saying the Emperor has no clothes? But seriously, for the Candrea lovers, why doesn't a single player in this clip bring their elbow way up high? Why doesn't a single player "show the ball to 2nd" or "ball away"? Could it be because no good players actually throw that way, as Chris says?

Why do players on Candrea's teams routinely do the opposite of what he teaches, and yet he never corrects them?

Why doesn't Mike "fix" his player Lauren Schultzer? Mike tells us if you get separation you will be long to the ball. Gee I thought Lauren was his highest average. Maybe Mike ought to tell her she's not going to be able to get around in time hitting like she does. But then again nearly every player on his team hits like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1