Thoughts on what Gwynn is suggesting.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That sounds as if you're not a fan or proponent of the overlap of the two halves.
SXBmQgn.gif

Even TDS' chair drill helps teach activation of the lower half ahead of the upper half...
k2TausC.gif

Did I miss the memo where the "hips" are no longer part of the "pelvis"? 🤔🤷‍♂️🙂

not really. You want the back hip to hit the ball. Hardly the same thing. But go ahead and explain why they mean exactly the same thing. If you rotate the hips, you lose your legs. ‘Hit the ball w your back hip’ is a terrible cue if you want to use your glutes.

why don’t you try the chair drill and report back. I think you watch to much video instead of trying things out for yourself.

Apr 11, 2015
not really. You want the back hip to hit the ball. Hardly the same thing. But go ahead and explain why they mean exactly the same thing. If you rotate the hips, you lose your legs. ‘Hit the ball w your back hip’ is a terrible cue if you want to use your glutes.

why don’t you try the chair drill and report back. I think you watch to much video instead of trying things out for yourself.
"You're killing' me Smalls", it's a mental cue (like most all of them are), and not to be taken literally. 🤦‍♂️

But I get it, you've been told this a bunch of times elsewhere, it just plays better here to pretend you've never heard it before, don't get it, and deceive some of the poor newer folks here into reading into it as something it's not.

Why do you think I included TDS' chair drill...I've done it, like it, and told him personally that I wish I had seen it sooner in my coaching career. Great way to have students feel the lower half initiating before the upper half. Almost impossible to initiate the upper half prior to the lower half from that seat position.

There were drills years back were coaches took the hitters legs away from them having the kneel on both knees, or on one knee with the other leg extended out (similar to ways MLB guys used to warm up on deck). Those worked somewhat as well, but I think the chair drill isolates the feel of the lower initiating ahead of the upper even better.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
you forgot ‘middle out’🙂 Top down can be a good feel IMO. Bottom up is very slow. Maybe this vid can shed some light on why using your hips primarily without the glutes dominating its actions is detrimental to any kind of rotational athletic endeavor.

is the video you posted similar to this?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"You're killing' me Smalls", it's a mental cue (like most all of them are), and not to be taken literally. 🤦‍♂️

But I get it, you've been told this a bunch of times elsewhere, it just plays better here to pretend you've never heard it before, don't get it, and deceive some of the poor newer folks here into reading into it as something it's not.

Why do you think I included TDS' chair drill...I've done it, like it, and told him personally that I wish I had seen it sooner in my coaching career. Great way to have students feel the lower half initiating before the upper half. Almost impossible to initiate the upper half prior to the lower half from that seat position.

There were drills years back were coaches took the hitters legs away from them having the kneel on both knees, or on one knee with the other leg extended out (similar to ways MLB guys used to warm up on deck). Those worked somewhat as well, but I think the chair drill isolates the feel of the lower initiating ahead of the upper even better.

thinking hips is great when you’re stuck on the back side and gotta get something into the ball. Otherwise it’s really bad. From a position of leverage the hips are not initiators. Neither are the legs. Everything you see rotate early is space making and slack removal. Not force production. The middle is where the swing starts. Not the initiation of the lower half. The lower half goes backwards while the middle swings forwards. So I don’t see the lower half initiating anything. It just gets into position.

Im not twisting anything.just clarifying things. Please clarify what ‘hit the ball w your back hip’ means. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2015
Please clarify what ‘hit the ball w your back hip’ means. Thanks.
Exact same thing that Coach Wallenbrock said at the 1:58 mark of the video you posted..."We want the swing to be pelvic driven."

Last time I checked, the two "hips" make up the "pelvis" as we speak about baseball wise. Now since it's only the rear hip that moves towards the ball during the swing, it's the easiest "mental" cue to get kids to think about getting "the swing to be pelvic driven"...just like Coach Wallenbrock is saying.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Exact same thing that Coach Wallenbrock said at the 1:58 mark of the video you posted..."We want the swing to be pelvic driven."

Last time I checked, the two "hips" make up the "pelvis" as we speak about baseball wise. Now since it's only the rear hip that moves towards the ball during the swing, it's the easiest "mental" cue to get kids to think about getting "the swing to be pelvic driven"...just like Coach Wallenbrock is saying.

Nice try. its an indirect pelvic driven approach which CW is talking about. Through the glutes. Has nothing to do w the driving, thrusting, rotating of the pelvis. The ‘swing’ or the contraction of the middle/glutes is what brings all these things forward. Not a back hip or a knee going forward to the ball or plate, pitcher etc.

If you mentally or physically ‘take your back hip to the ball’ you’re knee driven as CW said. It’s that simple. Still not sure how you can shoe horn your cue to fit the correct way to use the pelvis.

May 12, 2016
Nice try. its an indirect pelvic driven approach which CW is talking about. Through the glutes. Has nothing to do w the driving, thrusting, rotating of the pelvis. The ‘swing’ or the contraction of the middle/glutes is what brings all these things forward. Not a back hip or a knee going forward to the ball or plate, pitcher etc.

If you mentally or physically ‘take your back hip to the ball’ you’re knee driven as CW said. It’s that simple. Still not sure how you can shoe horn your cue to fit the correct way to use the pelvis.
I can see how that would be misleading.

Sep 17, 2009

Great to do this drill on a bench, which are usually available in dugout or indoor gyms - very slidey can really help with overlap feel. Also have the hitter purposely perform a seated all-back all-forward swing to feel the difference. Finally, a hitter can't execute this properly without launching the barrel rearward. Launch forward/swing down from a seated position and the body will auto-magically organize itself all-back all-forward. Hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32