Helping Pitchers Cure Monkey Butt/Ninja Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
animal animal photography close up cute

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

One of the common flaws you will see even in otherwise strong pitchers is a tendency to stick their butts out toward first base (right handed pitcher) or third base (left handed pitcher) after they land. I call it monkey butt, since that’s how many primates “present,” while Rick Pauly calls it the “ninja” position.

No matter what you call it, what you end up with is a posture issue where the shoulders are not stacked up on top of the hips. Instead, the hips are cleared out of the way so the arm can come through the release zone unimpeded rather than making brush contact.

You can tell pitchers they need to stay stacked, hips under shoulders, but they can’t always feel what that means. In other words, they don’t realize they are sticking their butts back; that makes it pretty tough to correct.

One description I’ve heard of how to encourage them to keep the hips under the shoulder is to imagine cracking a walnut between the butt cheeks. If you do that, you will tend to bring the hips/butt in rather than sticking it out.

The problem with that is younger pitchers in particular may not have much experience cracking a walnut with their hands. So while they may nod and say ok, they may not quite be able to understand what you actually want them to do or how much pressure they need to apply.

The other night, however, I found a good cue that not only relates to a fairly common human experience; it also has the benefit of being one of those funny things you don’t ordinarily talk about, especially in a pitching lesson. It feels like you’re conspiring on a secret.

What I told a couple of pitchers with this issue was “Imagine you have a little gas getting ready to come out, but you don’t want to let it out. As you land, do what you need to do to hold it in.”

The pitchers immediately got the concept, and went from monkey butt to upright posture immediately.

I won’t say it’s a miracle cure. After a while they would get back into monkey butt position again. But by saying “hold the gas in” they’d immediately get back to better posture. I expect as they gain more experience they will learn to get the right position automatically – just like anything else.

If you have a pitcher who just can’t seem to avoid pushing her hips/butt back, give this cue a try. You may get some strange looks at first, but I’m pretty sure you’ll get the results you’re looking for quickly.

More...

Nov 29, 2009
What I tell them is they need to keep their brain on top of their butt otherwise their head will fall off of their shoulders.

One of the things I do to combat monkey butt is to have them in the open position. RHP Turn a ball bucket over and place it at their left side far enough away from them towards the catcher where they can put their foot on top of the bucket. With the left foot on the bucket they should have the left leg extended to the point the knee is slightly bent. Make sure the bottom of the foot is mostly flat on the bucket. Tell them they can't fall off of the bucket and the bucket can not move. The weight split should be 10% on the front just to help them keep their balance and 90% on the rear leg. Adjust the height of the bucket for the size of the girl. You don't want it higher than the knee.

By doing that they are forced to stay open, their weight is back and they can't monkey butt. Have them throw using a full circle so they can get the feeling of staying stacked and their weight is back. The sole purpose is to have them feel what it's like to stay back and stacked. Nothing else.

Dec 22, 2019
My 9yo is guilty as charged! Thank you for this thread because, although the issue is pointed out on this form many times, there is little on how to fix it. I’ve home instructed IR but what you see in her ”before” is the residual teachings of an HE PC to get open, get open, get OPEN! Poor child rarely gets brush and I recognize it...just didn’t know how to fix it!! (I have zero previous softball knowledge!)

She & I attended Rick Pauly’s clinic last weekend & learned two new drills to address! (Hats off to ya, Coach Jay!) A bucket drill such as the one referenced above and what I call “The Superman Drill” (below).

She’s made great improvement this week and I know she’s not there & is a work in progress, but I’m SO THANKFUL to not only have the issue identified, but also the knowledge of why it’s happening and how to address it!

Totally stealing the “hold the gas in” ...although knowing my girl, we’ll be saying fart. After all, when throwing, her glove hand “goes to her heart, not back where you fart!!” Potty humor = an instant smash with my child!!

Before:

Superman Drill (front & back view):

After, 1 week later:

I’m so thankful for this forum & sounding board!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My 9yo is guilty as charged! Thank you for this thread because, although the issue is pointed out on this form many times, there is little on how to fix it. I’ve home instructed IR but what you see in her ”before” is the residual teachings of an HE PC to get open, get open, get OPEN! Poor child rarely gets brush and I recognize it...just didn’t know how to fix it!! (I have zero previous softball knowledge!)

She & I attended Rick Pauly’s clinic last weekend & learned two new drills to address! (Hats off to ya, Coach Jay!) A bucket drill such as the one referenced above and what I call “The Superman Drill” (below).

She’s made great improvement this week and I know she’s not there & is a work in progress, but I’m SO THANKFUL to not only have the issue identified, but also the knowledge of why it’s happening and how to address it!

Totally stealing the “hold the gas in” ...although knowing my girl, we’ll be saying fart. After all, when throwing, her glove hand “goes to her heart, not back where you fart!!” Potty humor = an instant smash with my child!!

Before:

Superman Drill (front & back view):

After, 1 week later:

I’m so thankful for this forum & sounding board!!!

IMO there should still be focus on brush. Your student still shifts hip left and away as arm comes thru at the last second. Making sure there is brush also helps combat monkey butt.

Sep 29, 2014
IMO there should still be focus on brush. Your student still shifts hip left and away as arm comes thru at the last second. Making sure there is brush also helps combat monkey butt.
I noticed that too....but since they have been at this all of a couple days...I was gonna say keep working at it looking good ;)

Dec 22, 2019
I noticed that too....but since they have been at this all of a couple days...I was gonna say keep working at it looking good ;)

And I thank you for that. I’m so proud of what she’s accomplished in just a handful of days! It’s so frustrating when you can recognize an issue, but are clueless on the fix! I appreciate all the education and I appreciate your encouragement!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
And I thank you for that. I’m so proud of what she’s accomplished in just a handful of days! It’s so frustrating when you can recognize an issue, but are clueless on the fix! I appreciate all the education and I appreciate your encouragement!

My apologies on the inconsiderate tone. Did not mean that, I think it is great what you and your DD are doing. Have done the same with my DD. She is not perfect, but we have learned so much thru this site. We also went to a Pauly clinic in Ft. Wayne and was a great experience. I only stress the brush interference because in my mind is one of the most important things to get used to. I felt my DD was slow in her ability mainly due to not focusing on this early. And it can be done without full speed pitching. Just drill it in so she is used to the feel of the brush.

Good luck in your journey, you are well on your way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478