Thoughts on what Gwynn is suggesting.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
a direct approach would be to rotate the hips to the ball. An indirect approach would be to let the glutes/core extend the hips into the ball. One is quad centric, the other is glute centric. I say indirect mainly bc the timing is later and the force is indirectly applied.
I understand the quad centric vs. glute centric, but there is nothing indirect about it. You are either firing your quads or your glutes.

Keep the back heel down as long as possible.

Hit with your back hip.

Capture1.JPG

Apr 11, 2015
What are you considering the hips and pelvis? The hip joint? The pelvic girdle? I would think most people, when saying hips would be talking about the glutes and the muscles that make up the upper "ham string" since this is what actually moves the body. How is this an "indirect pelvic approach?" If you are firing the glutes aren't you firing the hips?
The "hips" themselves as I use the term, are joints made up of the acetabulum of the pelvic girdle, and the femoral head of the femur that allow movement(s), but don't themselves provide any of the energy or action of or for those movements. That's the various muscle groups attached to them (ie. the glutes as one of them) that provide and/or cause the actual actions of movement.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I understand the quad centric vs. glute centric, but there is nothing indirect about it. You are either firing your quad or your glutes.

Keep the back heel down as long as possible.

Hit with your back hip.

View attachment 23679

You can’t do both. If you use the hip your heel comes up and you extend early. No way around that.
Like I said indirect vs direct. Use the hip immediately and rotate or extend them later, indirect. Sorry if you don’t like the wording. But it applies both physically and visually.

All honesty, no need to hold the heel down if your in the glutes and using the ground correctly. Should be a result of maintaining angles/posture.

Apr 11, 2015
bat drag is not a timing issue. It’s hyper mobility
Really? If "the hips lead the way", it's pretty hard for the elbows to get out in front of them. It ain't rocket science, and don't take fancy internet words or terms to be able to get kids to learn how to hit.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The best way I’ve found to maintain angles is through proper force production and maintaining posture. That directly relates to staying square w the hips.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Really? If "the hips lead the way", it's pretty hard for the elbows to get out in front of them. It ain't rocket science, and don't take fancy internet words or terms to be able to get kids to learn how to hit.

yes really. That can lead to another type of drag. We have spoke of that already though.

Apr 11, 2015
Queues Cues are only valid if they support the movement pattern...
Fixed it for you, "queues" are lines where people wait for something...and yes, when one wants a movement pattern where "the hips lead the way", and where "we want the swing to be pelvic driven", I've found the "cue" in the discussion to work very well, and very quickly in facilitating just that. 👍🏽

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32