Thoughts on this swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

He creates a lot of space in the swing, nothing tied up.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

Perhaps it was a slider? It isn't a perfect swing. I see a guy desperate to reach a low-outside pitch and hook it. The front arm is not the only give-away, but look at the angle of the back elbow. The further away from the body, the more the forearm points toward left-field in his case, the more the barred front arm is required, and the less the back forearm points back toward the pitcher. In fact, the back arm from elbow to hands, when contact timing is perfect, should project in the direction the ball is struck. The continuation of the hands through the ball will produce the same extension in the direction the ball was hit. Note the forearm projections in the photos compared to where you perceive the ball is going to be hit. The swing is an outlier, not a very good swing, which may have produced a good result.

EDIT: I read everyone's posts after posting, and I gave a thumbs up to a few. There were some good answers IMHO.

Attachments

• Soler 3.jpg
    Soler 3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
  • _hit RF (2).jpg
    _hit RF (2).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Japan Home Run perfect form.jpg
    Japan Home Run perfect form.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Jeter 5 (2).jpg
    Jeter 5 (2).jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 6 Shoulde2r.jpg
    6 Shoulde2r.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 15
  • world-series-york-mets-v-20151029-012727-931.jpg
    world-series-york-mets-v-20151029-012727-931.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SPORTS_BBA-TWINS-ROYALS_1_KC_36572861.JPG
    SPORTS_BBA-TWINS-ROYALS_1_KC_36572861.JPG
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I see bat drag... all the time we see this classified as bat drag on this site in amateur hitters. Yes the hitter may be adjusting, the swing may not be perfect etc etc but based on others definition of bat drag on this site.. the is most certainly bat drag.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I see bat drag... all the time we see this classified as bat drag on this site in amateur hitters. Yes the hitter may be adjusting, the swing may not be perfect etc etc but based on others definition of bat drag on this site.. the is most certainly bat drag.

Well I don't see it. Is this Cody Bellinger or someone else? Anyway the hitter comes to connection at the hip properly. The bat is in the lag position until the arm gets to slot (back elbow connection at the hip). But at the point he was already adjusting to an outside pitch. From slot the bat head is released as it should be. From there the bat head wraps around the ball pulling it. I feel it may have been a slider from a left-handed pitcher, moving away, and got him out of sync. It isn't a good mechanical swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well I don't see it. Is this Cody Bellinger or someone else? Anyway the hitter comes to connection at the hip properly. The bat is in the lag position until the arm gets to slot (back elbow connection at the hip). But at the point he was already adjusting to an outside pitch. From slot the bat head is released as it should be. From there the bat head wraps around the ball pulling it. I feel it may have been a slider from a left-handed pitcher, moving away, and got him out of sync. It isn't a good mechanical swing.

Yep, it's Belli. I'm not seeing bat drag, either.

May 12, 2016
Not really talking about what I believe.. just saying I've seen this classified as bat drag by many when reviewing an amateur swing

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06