This coaches letter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
The coaches letter thread got me thinking if mine sucks or not, what better place to get an honest critique then right here.
This is what I sent out this year, which is different from last year, and the year before, and so on. First year 14u.

Hi all,

First off, thanks to everyone for joining ______________. Good attitudes, proper fundamentals, and proper execution are the keys to success and we intend to concentrate in those areas.

Some general ground rules for parents: Please,
1) Help your daughters show up healthy, on time, ready for practice or games
2) The dugout is off limits, if we need you we will come get you
3) The best thing you can do for them during a game is encourage and shoot them the occasional smile when they look your way. If they mess up, don’t worry they probably already know it and so do we, we will handle it.
4) You can stay for practice or drop off and pick up
5) If you have a concern about your daughter please talk to me about it. Between practices and between tournaments are appropriate times, unless it is a health or safety concern

Players,
1) Softball pants are required at all practices, indoor or outdoor. Come to practice prepared for anything and any weather.
2) It’s your equipment, you carry it. Next time you are at a tournament find the girl texting and walking while her parents are lugging her stuff, you don’t want to look like that.
3) Your not in 10u anymore, be respectful of your team and all of the responsibilities that come with it. Let your parents show up and just enjoy watching your hard work pay off
4) We will let you know everything that is expected of you as time goes on, and we will be there to remind you when you forget.
5) If you have a concern about anything, please talk to me about it.
6) I like to have fun, but let’s get serious means just that.

I will nail down fees in the next couple of weeks, at that time I will include an outline for our tournament schedule. For fall I plan on getting together in one on one or small groups over the next couple of weeks. We will then have a couple of team practices and I will line up two or three scrimmages between sept and the beginning of oct.
We will start hitting once a week starting in December, probably Sunday evenings and add another day the closer we get to February. I will provide a schedule when we get closer. I am always available for extra help in the off time if you want it, I may even contact each of you to continue one on one work when schedules permit. I would also like a fall and winter sports schedule and any possible vacations so I can plan around those activities the best I can.

That’s all for now, as always contact me anytime for anything.
Thank You,
This Coach

I didn't edit it except for the team name and my name. Post your letter if you want an honest opinion.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My letter.........

Thank you for joining the ___________ premier softball team. Winning will be our first priority, only second to not losing. I will teach your daughters to hold their trophies high and smile big for the camera.

Fee's will be $500 per player, cash only in large bills. Don't be alarmed if you see me riding in a new shinny vehicle thereafter, it's probably just a rental.

General rules for parents:
1. Have your kids there on time and ready to work.
2. If you're going to be late, bring me a snack and a cold drink.
3. Dugout is off limits, unless you're using rule #2.
4. Best thing you can do for them during a game is encourage them to listen to me. I'll do all the thinking, if I have a question or need advice, I will write you a letter and place it in the mail.
5. If you have a concern about playing time or positions please write it down on toilet paper so I can use it accordingly.

Players:
1. Pants and shirts are required at all times.
2. Carry your OWN equipment, then come ask if I need help with mine.
3. You're not 10U anymore, don't play like it either.
4. I will let you know everything you need to know, and I will remind you of that when you forget.
5. If you have a concern, please ask your parents for their #5 rule and writing paper.
6. I like to have fun, and losing is never fun.

You can always call me with any questions between the hours of 8:00 and 8:01 am, if I'm not available leave a message and I'll get with you the following business day...........same hours.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
So far GoingDeep has the best letter. Personally I prefer to talk to my parents during a preseason meeting. Anything put in writing such as a letter can and will be used against you at a later time!

The flip side of that is half my parents don't read anything I write anyway. Want proof? Email your parents the exact time and place to be for your next tournament. Then wait to see how many people call, text, or ask you to your face where to be and when. And I love those calls from mom who is lost and already late wanting me to give directions to a place I myself have just arrived at for the first time in my life!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06