The Reality of Travel Ball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My nephew shuts his modem off at 10PM. But, I guess that doesn't keep kids off their phones. What do you do? Maybe put them next to my bed.

Jun 1, 2013
Because some of might have done a better job of raising our children are not relying on the schools, tv and the village to do it for us.

Personally I think this is out of bonds. You are criticizing parents for looking after their kids and claiming parental "high ground" when you actually have done less to raise yours compared to a mom or pop that keep tabs of their kids and their kids social networks.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
One of my favorites is Snapchat because "the picture it is automatically deleted and it cannot be saved." Yeah, like everything else there is an app for that. :)

While the recipient has to be quick with a screenshot app to keep a copy, snapchat stores data on their own storage indefinitely, so other app's can still access that data as long as it's there.

btw, snapchat was created specifically for sexting.

I appreciate that OP is montoring kids, I do so with my own, BUT without OP's qualifications I'm not sure how competent I am to read the signs they mentioned.

Jan 23, 2014
I'm sure many a parent have been shocked by the the things their little sweetie has done, especially when they parented with all their might and read all the books and did all the things. Your child may very well use social media and her phone correctly. But I'm sure there are too many other parents who wished they had spent more time looking at their child's phone and social media accounts so that they would have realized the bullying that was going on that drove their child to such a dark place that they thought suicide was the only option. I would appreciate a trusted adult letting me know what may be going on in my child's life.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
While the recipient has to be quick with a screenshot app to keep a copy, snapchat stores data on their own storage indefinitely, so other app's can still access that data as long as it's there.

I appreciate that OP is montoring kids, I do so with my own, BUT without OP's qualifications I'm not sure how competent I am to read the signs they mentioned.

Actually there are literally quite a few apps for that. No timers running down and everything is saved. Available for Android and IOS.

Dec 20, 2012
I was pretty fortunate to have the relationship I did with my kids. We are open with each other, they ask questions they get straight answers whether they like it or not. Vice versa, if dd was going to a party that had drinking she told us. Never had an issue with her drinking but at the same time I know what was like to be a teenager and definitely not naive to what they do. It seemed the goody two shoes coaches dd was one of the worst behaved, I never would have guessed it. Even though I trusted her to make good decisions I still kept an eye on her. FB, Twitter, had tracking on iPhone,... for nothing else than piece of mind that she was being honest.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Haven't read all of the responses and stopped at the insinuation that I am a bad parent because I don't have all of the social media stuff. It is hard to respond without seeming judgmental or sounding like my wife and I think that we are perfect parents. In short, I don't have any of that stuff. No twitter, facebook, ... We talk to our child. She knows she can talk to us openly and without judgement. She knows her dad will give his opinion and still love her. We try to never let her go a day without telling her we love her. I don't know this father and daughter but to suggest that I am a poor parent because I don't have that stuff is out of line. JMHO!

You should re-read my OP. I was irked that the father was oblivious to what was going on in his kids life. But you also state you stopped at this part of the OP so possibly you haven't received the full context of my post.

I appreciate your view on this sensitive subject as I don't consider myself to be the almighty on this and I'm sure there are 10,000 other ways to handle this.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware

16 years in Military law enforcement. I have been trained in Suicide Awareness, Conflict Management, Sexual Assault Response, I have supervised people in some of the most stressful locations and situations. My wife also possesses a Masters in Psychology. Not an expert but the most qualified within my organization. I think all organizations should have someone trained to deal with issues like this.

TO ADD: After re-reading I got the actual intent.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Because some of might have done a better job of raising our children are not relying on the schools, tv and the village to do it for us.
I hope you are right, but I think most people would say that, including the people who find out later that they (or their kid) have problems they didn't see coming. (this is not in any way a criticism of the poster, merely an observation that I'm sure a lot of people think that way)
I have learned from personal experience that many parents (mothers in particular) will believe ANYTHING their DD tells them and defend it to the death with zero concern for the truth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles