The Ongoing Debate about Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Is there any organization that regulates the safety of these facemasks like NOCSAE does for the helmet cages? I'd think that would be a necessary first step, otherwise a kid could put a rubber band around their head and call it a mask.

-W

Jul 28, 2008
Is there any organization that regulates the safety of these facemasks like NOCSAE does for the helmet cages? I'd think that would be a necessary first step, otherwise a kid could put a rubber band around their head and call it a mask.

-W

This is an issue I posted about a few years ago. In order to require it, you would have to have them pass a safety standard. You would also have to have that safety standard written up by someone. There is not a fielder's mask out there that is approved, because nobody requires their usage.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I tested mine. :) It was the original Game Face. I took a blow off of a line drive hit, from a CF4. A 14 yo that I was instructing, hit me solid. I was about 35 feet in front of her. That was the last time that I did that, w/o a net. The mask didn't break, but I replaced it, just in case it was damaged.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Here is the extent to which this is actually a legitimate debate:

Who is the parent and what does the parent want? End of story. Going any further than that is a pure display of cowardice on behalf of the parent.

Insurance - ASA and just about everyone else from AARP to Alex Trebek is going to be secondary insurance. Tell them otherwise and you just committed insurance fraud. Good luck getting a penny if you get caught doing that.

Umpires - Have a total of 15 votes on the ASA General Council and probably would not even address any change in their committee meetings. Also, ASA does not make wholesale changes, someone must propose it as a rule change (and there are enough GAGAs, it will happen if someone in the front office wants it to happen).

If they are mandated, it will probably not be put into effect for 18-24 months assuming NOCSAE is not prepared with tested standards. If memory serves me correctly, NOCSAE has about a year probationary period before final approval of presented and tested equipment. And this is really the stupid part of passing a rule like this and anyone who went through this with the masks on the helmet knows this: Everyone will have to buy a new mask with the NOCSAE stamp.

Don't care what you are wearing now, it has to go and will NOT be allowed in the game regardless of what the manufacturer states. Also, you will have to buy a model approved, which may limit your choices since, like Rawlings (or maybe Wilson?) demonstrated with the batting masks, not all manufacturer's operate and produce on the same curve or timetable, so your brand of choice may not be available. The stupid part is that there is no need for a rule. Reasonably priced safe equipment is already on the market and available for immediate use, so if it is that big a deal, WHY IS THIS EVEN A CONVERSATION?

Also, to those who have tunnel vision, ASA addresses the games of softball, ALL OF THEM, not just the specific games for the rec or competitive, or the carrot chasers or the beer drinkers or those whack jobs that think every pitch may be the last out of the world series. And, BTW, of all the softball organizations, they are the closest thing to a democratic process that any of them experience.

Apr 9, 2012
This was not meant to be a debate MTR. It was meant to discuss what valid information existed and to what potential this was going to occur.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Without rehashing the debate about the pros and cons of masks, I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an annual item for discussion at most of the alphabet soup organizational meetings.

Whether or not mandated masks for certain positions will be a thing of the future, I can't see how the issue can be simply ignored when the issue of equipment is discussed. They may very well leave it a voluntary decision for the forseable future but the issue of whether or not they will be required is sure to come up.

Apr 9, 2012
Without rehashing the debate about the pros and cons of masks, I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an annual item for discussion at most of the alphabet soup organizational meetings.

Whether or not mandated masks for certain positions will be a thing of the future, I can't see how the issue can be simply ignored when the issue of equipment is discussed. They may very well leave it a voluntary decision for the forseable future but the issue of whether or not they will be required is sure to come up.

Very good point.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I got hit by a direct throw this summer and broke my nose. Actually it split the septum. $10,257 later, I will recommend masks to my infielders, especially my own DD's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah