Was she out of line, or was I?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
THIS WHY SOME PARENTS (I include myself) SHOULD GO STAND AND CONGREGATE ALONG THE OUTFIELD FENCE. WE SIMPLY CAN NOT CONTROL OURSELVES AND WE KNOW IT SO DON'T PUT YOURSELF IN THAT SITUATION!!!!!

Were you right, maybe or maybe not, maybe the umpire judged it was not 5 ft but 3 ft that is a judgement call you don't get to make, but there is just no reason to act like that and yes I speak from experience so I'm not pulling out some holier than thou card.

...and to the coach why are you running from third on an infield hit up 18-0, all runner should be advancing on base hits only unless you are trying to run up the score.

Finally unless approached and specially asked never talk to an umpire after a game after you have had an altercation with him, it can go sideways really fast and is just not worth it, unless it is to apologize...and yes that may mean apologizing even if you are 100% right, you simply say "sorry I was out of line, regardless of what the rule is I should not have talked to you like that."

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
You can't tell an ump to check his phone because he missed a call and then suggest that you never used demeaning language.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
There's a new book out called "The Arm" - it's about Tommy John surgery in baseball pitchers. One of the mlb pitchers got pretty despondent during his rehab. He started taking a "perverse pleasure" in getting kicked out of his daughter's softball games. That little story made me think of all of us on DFP and smile - we've all been there.

Mar 1, 2016
You can't tell an ump to check his phone because he missed a call and then suggest that you never used demeaning language.

I didn't call him names. I didn't call him stupid or blind. That would have been demeaning. I simply used a creative way to tell him he missed a call. That's not demeaning.

Mar 1, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Many of them were helpful, while some of them were just additional personal attacks. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut at my daughter's games from now on, especially if I feel like her team is being hosed or cheated. And I'll be damned if I ever ask another question on this forum again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Many of them were helpful, while some of them were just additional personal attacks. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut at my daughter's games from now on, especially if I feel like her team is being hosed or cheated. And I'll be damned if I ever ask another question on this forum again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you do not, you seemed to be honest with your post,, didn't go your way might next time.

(Missed the not)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Tex - DFP is made up of parents, coaches, umps, and players. Some of them have been around since softballs were square. Whatever the situation, you can be pretty sure that another DFP'er has done or seen the same thing - good, bad, brilliant, or moronic. If you feel the need to stomp off because no one high-fived you for mouthing off to the ump, that's up to you. Another option is to realize that what you did was out of line, learn from it, laugh it off, and let it go.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2015
I didn't call him names. I didn't call him stupid or blind. That would have been demeaning. I simply used a creative way to tell him he missed a call. That's not demeaning.

No matter how "creative" you got, it's not your role or responsibility to speak to the umpire. As a parent, you job is to encourage and use positive support for the players....that's it. Just because you do not like to hear that you were wrong to even say anything to the umpire, doesn't mean you were attacked by others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00