Was she out of line, or was I?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2016
To be honest, you did ask if you were out of line. Don't ask a question if you aren't prepared for
honest answers.

Completely understand. I like honest answers, really. I just wasn't prepared to be called idiot fan, jerk, complete jerk, or total ***. I totally get that I was out of line for yelling anything at all to the umpire, and I'll do my best to never speak another word to another umpire again unless one of them asks me a question. Maybe that means watching from the outfield. I've only ever met a couple in my lifetime who were interested in my opinion anyway.

I guess I was also looking for a little validation that my interpretation of the rules was correct, and it appears that it was. Additionally I was probably also seeking validation that the officials took it a bit too far by approaching me at the fence at least 10 minutes after the play in question was over and all comments had stopped as well as approaching me in the parking lot after the game was over, and it appears that was the case as well based on majority of opinion here.

Again, I appreciate the honest answers and great advice that so many people have given in response to my questions. I was just disappointed that a couple of people saw it as an opportunity for name calling and sarcasm.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I didn't call him names. I didn't call him stupid or blind. That would have been demeaning. I simply used a creative way to tell him he missed a call. That's not demeaning.

But it is saying something with the intent to show up the umpire. Since you were a parent in the stands, I'm just smiling and moving on with the game as I hear you, but ignore you.
If that comment comes from a coach or team personnel....somebody gets a free trip to the parking lot.....

Feb 25, 2016
What you said was funny imo. I'm going to use that one of these days. Umpires don't get paid a lot of money and shouldn't be expected to know every rule out there. I don't expect them to be professional either. Heck the first umpire I had showed up to our game an hour late and drunk. After that first game I thought he was terrible, but after my experience with subsequent umps he ended up being my favorite of all time. The guy was always on point and completely unbiased. In one game I had two umps who probably knew the rules better than anyone, but they were snotty and biased towards the team that was better dressed and more organized.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In an 18-0 game, I'm wondering why they made a call to prolong the game, especially when it was so wrong! I recently attended a game where the umpires made many bad calls, in one case askng the SS if she had dropped the ball when she tagged the runner. It gets frustrating and sometimes you can't help but let one fly. I hate to do that, but sometimes the circumstance sets you up....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00