The Ongoing Debate about Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
I know this has been hashed through repeatedly so before I get flamed I only wish to pass on information and see if anyone else has heard this.

At a A/B ASA National Tournament this August I had a conversation with a UIC and other important ASA officials.

It was their "opinion" that ASA will be mandating the corners and pitchers to wear a mask in official events during this Novembers annual board meeting.

I say it this way because I dont want to put words in anyones mouth. It sounds like the conversation is or has already been had at the top levels and decisions are coming soon.

Anyone else have any recent "official" information. Please no opinions or debates or flaming as we all know this is a hot subject. Just curious what other regions are being told.

Jul 26, 2010
ASA are followers, not leaders. They won't implement a new rule until it is well established in other organizations such as NCAA or NFHS.

The only other thing that would drive this decision would be insurance costs, which may or may not be effected by mandating masks.

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
ASA are followers, not leaders. They won't implement a new rule until it is well established in other organizations such as NCAA or NFHS.

The only other thing that would drive this decision would be insurance costs, which may or may not be effected by mandating masks.

-W

The NCAA does not mandate helmet facemasks,,, yet ASA does

I've said it before, IMO it would be a good rule, in 5 years nobody would even know the difference (same as masks on the batting helmet)

Nov 29, 2009

The ASA does not follow. It has to be drug kicking and screaming to effect any changes. That's how the PGF was able to get such a strong foothold in the softball world in a relatively short time frame.

Aug 9, 2013
While the original post is about rules in ASA, as a coach of younger girls, I strongly suggest to parents to buy one. When they are developing and becoming better catchers and throwers, I have found them to increase the girls confidence knowing that if they take one off the face, it won't hurt. They are willing to stay down on the grounders longer and try and catch the ball without ducking out of the way. For the small investment, it's worth it for player development and safety.

Jun 22, 2008

Really? It was ASA that originally mandated batting facemasks and chin straps, NFHS mandated facemasks a year or 2 later. And NFHS still does not require chin straps.

Apr 9, 2012
On the insurance cost mentioned I know it is quite costly to repair a face and if we look closely at our personal insurance the majority of items are not covered. Then we get to dental which is a seperate insurance.

Knowing that it is easy to file a claim on anything not directly paid by your personal insurance. I have had parents tell me they just told ASA they had no personal insurance and the entire cost went on the ASA insurance.

If masks are mandated and their is an injury ASA can deny coverage due to personal negligence. This was a driving factor on helmet facemasks.

I appreciate the feedback. Like everyone else I am addicted to this game and like the water cooler talk.

Jan 20, 2010
NSA has changed the wording of their rule, while it does not make it mandatory, it is "highly recommended" Don't know what that really means other than they can say they recommended them wearing a mask.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole