The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Clearly the forearm is adducting

The supination is after and if the supination happened first the barrel simply gets to deep...not deep, steep is the word...

Supination or the lack of it, all starts with the way the hitter grips the bat. How the hitter grips the bat will determine how little or how much the hitter must supinate. So to the degree in which one supinates and when are not that important. That is not to say how one grips the bat is not important.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Supination or the lack of it, all starts with the way the hitter grips the bat. How the hitter grips the bat will determine how little or how much the hitter must supinate. So to the degree in which one supinates and when are not that important. That is not to say how one grips the bat is not important.

Not following the logic in terms of the 'degree' and 'when' of supination not being important.

Since you acknowledge that the 'grip' is important .... does using a proper grip lead to supination in your opinion?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rd ... I do appreciate the description of "one-leggedness" in that demo. To me that is essential to minimizing the turning radius of the top-hand path ... which is a perspective I use in teaching the swing. Perhaps a way for folks to get there is to work on just that ... swinging with an objective of using the torso/hip-engine and forearm/hand-engine to minimize the radius of the top-hand path ... when I do this the 'snap' being described is automatic.

It's sort of like Donaldson said in his demo ... staying behind the ball in a turn.

It's sort of like Bonds stressed ... stay short.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What % of mlb players employ "one leggedness"? It's a small number. And even a smaller number of ladies playing college ball are going to snap over the falls or wall or whatever he is falling over. Why is it a small number? Because they would lose power if they hit off their back leg and didn't shift mass forward and then turn (while attempting to keep hand-path radius as small or short as possible). Just because a giant of a man juiced up on steroids hit a bunch of HRs off his back foot doesn't make it the most efficient way to hit the ball. If it was, more players would be falling over the wall or falls. Just watch MLB channel quick pitch and see all the hits and HRs of the day. You may see a few one legged swings but usually they are on on off-speed pitches where the hitter stops/slows his momentum and launches the ball off his back foot.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What % of mlb players employ "one leggedness"? It's a small number. And even a smaller number of ladies playing college ball are going to snap over the falls or wall or whatever he is falling over. Why is it a small number? Because they would lose power if they hit off their back leg and didn't shift mass forward and then turn (while attempting to keep hand-path radius as small or short as possible). Just because a giant of a man juiced up on steroids hit a bunch of HRs off his back foot doesn't make it the most efficient way to hit the ball. If it was, more players would be falling over the wall or falls. Just watch MLB channel quick pitch and see all the hits and HRs of the day. You may see a few one legged swings but usually they are on on off-speed pitches where the hitter stops/slows his momentum and launches the ball off his back foot.

What do you mean by "over the falls"?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
We have all seen the gurus come and go, The Howard Carriers and the Charlie Laus of the world, Some of their instruction has been proved to be NOT SO GOOD.

The latest guru seem to be Richard Schenck, His snap the barrel rearward and his supination are all the craze right now

My findings:

Rich Schenck advocates a supination of the top hand and forearm, What I found is trying to relay this info to a youth is very difficult, What they end up doing is laying the bat down and getting a much steeper angle than desired. The wrist and forearms should not supinate before adduction, The wrist I should say should not supinate.

The top wrist should remain strong. The hitters I worked with all had a upper cut swing and I feeling of being back on their rear leg such an extreme that they felt as if they were spinning out on the rear leg. The barrel works down to the ball. But on an upward incline and contact is made as the elbow is working up to the front shoulder.

The focus on sending the barrel rearward is causing problems also. The angle is to steep and they tend to supinate the top hand wrist which causes the barrel to flatten and get extremely long to the ball. Faster pitching up and in eats them alive when they do this.

You should not force supination of focus on it, You should not focus on being 1 legged or focus on it,

My findings are the rear heel is usually off the ground just before launch. Is this not a sign of the rear leg being unweighted?

Adduction and lateral tilt are happening before supination.

Conclusion: Focus on being 1 legged and supinating at launch is wrong.

Launch is not supination, Supination is not launch.

Kids that I worked with got much better results not focusing on the steep barrel..not focusing on supinating the top hand.

We obtained better results with the feeling of staying above the ball and the wrist remaining strong and being reactive after launch.

Not swinging down...not chopping but a feeling of taking the bat down to the ball. Not focusing on " SNAP " of the barrel rearward and swinging over the wall. The barrels simply got to steep that way!

Possibly this works for kids over 16 Im not sure

JUst so you get your facts straight. Howard Carrier has put around 150 kids in college. I personally know of at least 5 that played d-1 and broke the all time home run record at that school. 5 different colleges.
Your welcome in advance.
I also teach his swing which is based off Bustos. Most of my hitters are in the top three on there travel teams, some lead there teams....Really comes down to how much work you put in on the homework I give them

Straightleg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes