The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Clarification ... the young lady is not a student of mine.

Simply asking someone to perform long tee will not iron out a swing. Many hitters have internal movement patterns that are prohibitive ... and they persist in these movement patterns even though they are prohibitive. I've seen people maintain poor movement patterns for several years ... i.e., their poor movement patterns don't simply go away as they continue to swing ... years and years of swings will not necessarily correct poor movement patterns.

A strategy of "they will eventually figure it out" doesn't work for many. The clock is ticking for many of these young hitters .... telling them that "it will eventually work itself out" is not the approach that works best IMO.

Allow me to clarify. I am never going to let a hitter with poor mechanics work it out. That never happens. Long tee affords the hitter to see the ball's trajectory and power. So with help from the coach on how to hit line drives for power, combined with the feedback provided, the hitter improves quicker and is made aware/feels what is happening to the barrel. I can see hitters from 500 ft away and I know who it is and the same mistakes they are making with the same coach and it breaks my heart.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe Teacherman/Richard ( I am not an expert on his teachings) teaches two snaps, both of which I disagree with. First snap is the hands snapping the barrel rearward (which is a mechanic employed by Barry Bonds and some others but by my unscientific estimation less than half of MLB players and even fewer high level fastpitch players). Most hitters that would try this would dump the barrel and never get on plane. And then the other snap is the rear hip snapping the torso "over the falls" which is worse than the first snap. It too is employed on occasion by some MLB players (not purposely- staying back and launching an off speed pitch). How many or what % of MLB players when practicing off a tee employ snap "over the falls". I believe the number would be quite low. I know rbass has posted a SNAP video which I found hilarious. Not only is it OK, it is correct to have your mass/weight/COM/belly button shift laterally in a controlled manner. On some (generally big/no stride)hitters the shift can be very slight but it is usually there. Of course it can be over done. If Barry Bonds shifted more instead of going over the falls he would have hit the ball further.

RH, would this represent a lesson on 'snapping'?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In my opinion when Donaldson speaks of staying behind the ball in a turn, the 'turn' he is speaking of is not 'the barrel' ... although it does result in the barrel being turned/arc'd/orbited. The turn is his body's rotation. I know some folks will struggle with this ... but take note of the turning/rotation of the upper body, inclusive of the shoulders.

Would you say the body's rotation is a result of something else or a desired thought ? I would say it's a result of resistance .

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Would you say the body's rotation is a result of something else or a desired thought ? I would say it's a result of resistance .

Resistance alone does not cause rotation.

That said, there is a good deal of resistance taking place.

For example, the shoulders resist rotation ... but the torso/hip-engine & forearm/hand-engine win out.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Point to where I said I teach or don't teach 'SNAP'. FFS I'm sure you know what 'SNAP' looks like. If not go to teacherman1986.

Rd ... please clarify ... do you teach, or have you taught, 'SNAP'?

I have not paid close attention to the teachings of 'SNAP'.

How does one go to teacherman1986? Is there a particular link?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Point to where I said I teach or don't teach 'SNAP'. FFS I'm sure you know what 'SNAP' looks like. If not go to twitter teacherman1986.
tumblr_pc8vx9OqNn1usf292o1_400.gif

(Red lines are the stretch/separation)
I'm guessing lower lower back rear leg area is where the SNAP occurs.

Rd, thanks for adding the video.

So is 'snap' the overlapping of torso/hip-engine and 'forearm/hand-engine' ... the extra-stretch/missing-frames? Does that sound about right?

Is 'snap' the repackaging of SnF?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Again I said point to a post where I said I teach or don't teach SNAP. I'm have posted a video/gif of SNAP. Go to the source that I have posted and guessing you may or may not have visited. I don't care either way.

Rd, I don't know if you have taught 'snap'. You have made posts on 'snap' and you have made a statement that I interpreted that you were comfortable with what you teach.

Maybe I should have posted something to the effect of ... hey Rd, regarding this 'snap' that you have posted on ... have you taught it and could you please share how you go about teaching it?

p.s.
Question: Do you teach, or have you taught, 'SNAP'?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm guessing no. Wasn't SNF from a static position. I believe this is from a 'flow' into ....
Again go to twitter teacherman1986 the source.

My interpretation of SnF was not of a static position. More like what you seem to be calling 'snap' ... or at least my current understanding of what you are referring to as 'snap'.

Jun 8, 2016
Rd, I don't know if you have taught 'snap'. You have made posts on 'snap' and you have made a statement that I interpreted that you were comfortable with what you teach.

Maybe I should have posted something to the effect of ... hey Rd, regarding this 'snap' that you have posted on ... have you taught it and could you please share how you go about teaching it?

p.s.
Question: Do you teach, or have you taught, 'SNAP'?

From the first tweet which I linked to:

"THAT.....is a rear leg snap. Nice. Coil resists the forward move. S t r e t c h.....SNAP!!

Snap isn't the teach, the stuff quoted is what he is saying creates the snap in the rear leg.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00