The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
From the first tweet which I linked to:

"THAT.....is a rear leg snap. Nice. Coil resists the forward move. S t r e t c h.....SNAP!!

Snap isn't the teach, the stuff quoted is what he is saying creates the snap in the rear leg.

Sounds like this snap is a result of the overlapping of the torso/hip-engine and forearm/hand-engine ... some may have referred to it as a gear-like action.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I believe Teacherman/Richard ( I am not an expert on his teachings) teaches two snaps, both of which I disagree with. First snap is the hands snapping the barrel rearward (which is a mechanic employed by Barry Bonds and some others but by my unscientific estimation less than half of MLB players and even fewer high level fastpitch players). Most hitters that would try this would dump the barrel and never get on plane. And then the other snap is the rear hip snapping the torso "over the falls" which is worse than the first snap. It too is employed on occasion by some MLB players (not purposely- staying back and launching an off speed pitch). How many or what % of MLB players when practicing off a tee employ snap "over the falls". I believe the number would be quite low. I know rbass has posted a SNAP video which I found hilarious. Not only is it OK, it is correct to have your mass/weight/COM/belly button shift laterally in a controlled manner. On some (generally big/no stride)hitters the shift can be very slight but it is usually there. Of course it can be over done. If Barry Bonds shifted more instead of going over the falls he would have hit the ball further.

After watching these silly videos.... I particularly like the one when he trying to teach a guy to snap the barrel and near the end he ask the guy "why aren't you snapping?" So the guy tries again and almost misses the ball and he says "better swing". Seriously. Watching a overweight guy snapping (falling over the falls). Actually falling all over the place. I stand by this^^^^^^^. I am sorta new to the hitting forum and I am not an expert but I can't believe anyone would find this guy creditable. Blows my mind. Reminds me of when I see a documentary on Jim Jones. I think, how did he get people to listen and follow him. I can't see the attraction. I am not trying to be mean spirited, just honest.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
After watching these silly videos.... I particularly like the one when he trying to teach a guy to snap the barrel and near the end he ask the guy "why aren't you snapping?" So the guy tries again and almost misses the ball and he says "better swing". Seriously. Watching a overweight guy snapping (falling over the falls). Actually falling all over the place. I stand by this^^^^^^^. I am sorta new to the hitting forum and I am not an expert but I can't believe anyone would find this guy creditable. Blows my mind. Reminds me of when I see a documentary on Jim Jones. I think, how did he get people to listen and follow him. I can't see the attraction. I am not trying to be mean spirited, just honest.

Feel the same

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

The subject of the instruction was an adult that appeared to have a reasonable sense of body awareness. Just imagine how difficult the hitting session would be for a young developing hitter with a limited sense of body awareness.

Apr 11, 2015
Whoa, go on vacation of a week, and another new/"latest" guru pops up. So who is this guy, where did he come from, and why haven't we heard anything about him before? :rolleyes:

Aslo heard some guy named "Ted Williams" or something like that has the "latest" new hitting book out also (it's even "science" related supposedly)....anyone read it yet? :p :D

Jun 8, 2016
Aslo heard some guy named "Ted Williams" or something like that has the "latest" new hitting book out also (it's even "science" related supposedly)....anyone read it yet? :p :D

From what I have heard, this Williams guy is just some talking head in Arizona (sorry couldn't resist..)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55