The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Question for anybody with an interest in the topic ...

In the video clip below, Donaldson speaks of "staying behind the baseball in a turn". What do folks think he means is being "turned"?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe Teacherman/Richard ( I am not an expert on his teachings) teaches two snaps, both of which I disagree with. First snap is the hands snapping the barrel rearward (which is a mechanic employed by Barry Bonds and some others but by my unscientific estimation less than half of MLB players and even fewer high level fastpitch players). Most hitters that would try this would dump the barrel and never get on plane. And then the other snap is the rear hip snapping the torso "over the falls" which is worse than the first snap. It too is employed on occasion by some MLB players (not purposely- staying back and launching an off speed pitch). How many or what % of MLB players when practicing off a tee employ snap "over the falls". I believe the number would be quite low. I know rbass has posted a SNAP video which I found hilarious. Not only is it OK, it is correct to have your mass/weight/COM/belly button shift laterally in a controlled manner. On some (generally big/no stride)hitters the shift can be very slight but it is usually there. Of course it can be over done. If Barry Bonds shifted more instead of going over the falls he would have hit the ball further.

RH ... is this an example of the "first snap"?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When instructing a hitter with 'dead hands' . I will teach hand path like the Ryan Braun tutorial floating around DFP. I will also show them the Albert Pujols video on MLB network that you despise . Let's not go there...

I always start any lesson with hand path tee work just like Brauns vid. Then front toss to the outside to make sure the hands are 'active' with direction if you will. The hitter will be in a halfway home drill /stork / babe Ruth drill(depends) when we work our first front toss. This is to get the sequence going ( this is where they get what they truly need, the 'feels' if you will), once I'm happy with what I'm seeing sequence wise. It will be harder front toss with varied locations to make the hitter teach their hands direction in a sort window of time. After I will throw windmill to them for a bucket or 2 from 25ft or so. I'm hardly a great descriptive writer so bear with me.

So it's Hands then sequence then sequence with timing. That's how I do it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When instructing a hitter with 'dead hands' . I will teach hand path like the Ryan Braun tutorial floating around DFP. I will also show them the Albert Pujols video on MLB network that you despise . Let's not go there...

I always start any lesson with hand path tee work just like Brauns vid. Then front toss to the outside to make sure the hands are 'active' with direction if you will. The hitter will be in a halfway home drill /stork / babe Ruth drill(depends) when we work our first front toss. This is to get the sequence going ( this is where they get what they truly need, the 'feels' if you will), once I'm happy with what I'm seeing sequence wise. It will be harder front toss with varied locations to make the hitter teach their hands direction in a sort window of time. After I will throw windmill to them for a bucket or 2 from 25ft or so. I'm hardly a great descriptive writer so bear with me.

So it's Hands then sequence then sequence with timing. That's how I do it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes. They both turn the barrel . From different spectrums of thought. What's your point?

In my opinion when Donaldson speaks of staying behind the ball in a turn, the 'turn' he is speaking of is not 'the barrel' ... although it does result in the barrel being turned/arc'd/orbited. The turn is his body's rotation. I know some folks will struggle with this ... but take note of the turning/rotation of the upper body, inclusive of the shoulders.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Take note of SB’s comment of his proposed whipping mechanics and the lack of arm extension.

Give yourself a goal of minimizing extension early in your swing. What has to happen to obtain barrel speed? Pretty much the torso/hip-engine and hand/forearm-engine … which some folks refer to as hips and hands … or basically torso & forearms.

If you give up on the torso-hip-engine prematurely … as many young developing hitters tend to do … then instead of making contact with the rear arm in an L-shape (see photo below), then they will make contact with a longer (more extended) rear arm … which is not the goal … they under utilized their main engine and often used an arm/shoulder engine.

Alex_Pujols_Walk_Of_Homer_Contact_L.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414