The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
DD used to take a gym step during her delivery. It would increase her speed 1-2 MPH. Would that be considered a "significant" advantage, probably not. I can tell you, however, it was a huge mental advantage. That slight 6"-8" slide forward gave her a more powerful feeling and a big confidence boost. When she would get called for an IP, that would give her something she had to focus on, other than the batter and the pitch location, and her effectiveness would clearly drop. We had to completely change her pre-motion to ultimately eliminate the gym step (skip step). IMO, calling illegal pitches on an illegal pitcher takes them out of their element and has a big impact on their effectiveness.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
In my experience leaping provides no advantage with regards to pitching speed. There is an advantage to being closer to home plate and that math has been done (the advantage was small).

Now crow-hopping is a different animal (which we are discussing here). I haven't seen any math on the advantage of crow-hopping and I was curious. You said "significant" advantage so I was wondering if you had some statistics, radar data, etc.

It was a curiosity rather than a challenge. ;)

TO ME, the advantage is its one less thing to focus on during the delivery, they are closer when the push off, they are typically out of the pitching lane though not always, and its disrupts the timing of the batter due to the release being closer.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
DD used to take a gym step during her delivery. It would increase her speed 1-2 MPH. Would that be considered a "significant" advantage, probably not. I can tell you, however, it was a huge mental advantage. That slight 6"-8" slide forward gave her a more powerful feeling and a big confidence boost. When she would get called for an IP, that would give her something she had to focus on, other than the batter and the pitch location, and her effectiveness would clearly drop. We had to completely change her pre-motion to ultimately eliminate the gym step (skip step). IMO, calling illegal pitches on an illegal pitcher takes them out of their element and has a big impact on their effectiveness.

Dead on and a huge point!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
PS. I sent the videos to Nancy Kempf. Since she called all of us ignorant for thinking that Barnhill pitches illegal
thank you, but make sure it goes to Cheri Kempf:D

also I'm thinking that 2 mph and possibly shaving 6" or more off the distance from Pitcher to Home (due to replant) very possibly results in a significant affect to a batter who is swinging a round bat at a round ball that has to make contact correctly for 1/2000 of a second.

also, the few times I have seen Barnhill try to field her position, it was like RB said-"a fish out of water". mathematically, I don't think she would have the stats she has if she was pitching legally.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
thank you, but make sure it goes to Cheri Kempf:D

also I'm thinking that 2 mph and possibly shaving 6" or more off the distance from Pitcher to Home (due to replant) very possibly results in a significant affect to a batter who is swinging a round bat at a round ball that has to make contact correctly for 1/2000 of a second.

also, the few times I have seen Barnhill try to field her position, it was like RB said-"a fish out of water". mathematically, I don't think she would have the stats she has if she was pitching legally.
Thanks for spotting that. I did send it to Cheri Kempf. IF she replays I can't wait to hear her weasel out of this one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi