The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Can't help but think about my prior comments about little girls watching their peers and then emulating those peers as I watched the exhibition last night in Sacramento with 7000 other softball junkies. It was just like shooting a basketball emulating Michael Jordan when we were kids, oh who by the way he probably never traveled once in his career, lol These star struck young girls are doing what they are taught and see on tv/video. Seeing the autograph lines last night in Sacramento clearly lets me know who the young girls see as the superstars right now in our sport. Speaks volumes to me as to the next generation of pitchers, and guess who they are going to emulate? Go Barnhill, keep being that superstar. Go USA!

Jordan didn't travel every time down the court. If she were illegal a couple times a game nobody would care.

Apr 12, 2013
Jordan didn't travel every time down the court. If she were illegal a couple times a game nobody would care.

While I agree on Jordan point. I would plead that the actual "nobody would care number" isn't that far from zero right now when it comes to Barnhill or this subject. There really aren't that many people that have a problem with it in the whole world, that is the funny thing. Most of them are pitchers dads, at least that is what I see. So, when you remove the pitchers daddies from the equation we are almost at a point of "nobody cares" being accurate. No one who matters has an issue with it (I mean governing bodies, from ASA to PGF to NCAA). No one.

Apr 12, 2013
The gave one to a cross dressing reality TV star, why not Barnhill?

BEST Female Collegiate Athlete. BEST. BETTER than ALL in ALL sports. Hard to swallow? It's post like these from pitchers daddies that make me draw the conclusion that pitchers daddies are the one's with the issue (and those whose revenue stream may be interrupted), no one else.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
While I agree on Jordan point. I would plead that the actual "nobody would care number" isn't that far from zero right now when it comes to Barnhill or this subject. There really aren't that many people that have a problem with it in the whole world, that is the funny thing. Most of them are pitchers dads, at least that is what I see. So, when you remove the pitchers daddies from the equation we are almost at a point of "nobody cares" being accurate. No one who matters has an issue with it (I mean governing bodies, from ASA to PGF to NCAA). No one.

"No one" is a big number D. I believe Mike White has a problem with it, so that is 1 which is double more than your 0. And I know there many more in my area, including myself who is a catchers daddy, that dont agree with how the games are being called. There is no uniform calling to these IP's and that is what my biggest issue is. When my DD did pitch and WOULD get called for replanting, just like KB, I understood and we worked to make the changes needed.

You have your opinion, I have mine. They are very far apart. I am not going to convince you that I am right just as you are not going to convince me that you are right. But you speaking in absolutes (always , forever , no one, etc) shows how much emotion you have on your opinion and all that emotion is taking away from your ability to possibly see the other side. I can see the rules changing to offset the leaping and replanting but I personally dont think that is the real answer. Just my opinion.

I hope the future of the game is good for you.

Apr 12, 2013
"No one" is a big number D. I believe Mike White has a problem with it, so that is 1 which is double more than your 0. And I know there many more in my area, including myself who is a catchers daddy, that dont agree with how the games are being called. There is no uniform calling to these IP's and that is what my biggest issue is. When my DD did pitch and WOULD get called for replanting, just like KB, I understood and we worked to make the changes needed.

You have your opinion, I have mine. They are very far apart. I am not going to convince you that I am right just as you are not going to convince me that you are right. But you speaking in absolutes (always , forever , no one, etc) shows how much emotion you have on your opinion and all that emotion is taking away from your ability to possibly see the other side. I can see the rules changing to offset the leaping and replanting but I personally dont think that is the real answer. Just my opinion.

I hope the future of the game is good for you.

I tried to define no one as "governing bodies", clearly. I also tried to define those whose revenue stream may be interrupted. That = a coach, whether a paid coach at a school or a pitching coach (there are 300+ D1 coaches). Therefore, I didn't skip past Mike White as I pointed his group out, we all saw the interview. :)

I'm really not trying to convert an opinion in all honesty, not my job. But as quick as i see bashing, i sure feel like I can give the other side of the coin, especially when the whining of dads gives me so much to work with. I am trying to point out that very few people in the world have an issue with it. And more importantly, the folks who matter have no issue with it. If I had to add one more group of people to the list of "governing bodies" and and "revenue interrupted", I would swiftly add parents of those who struggle at the plate. I would probably also speculate that there MUST be a few, so other "pitchers" may be a group too, although I have never heard of one complain. It's just like anything else in life, follow the money. I still say, if you remove those groups from the equation, you are pretty close to "no one cares".

Respectfully,
A Pitchers Daddy

Apr 12, 2013
I can see the rules changing to offset the leaping and replanting but I personally dont think that is the real answer. Just my opinion.

This is good conversation, not bashing or finger pointing. I respond well to this. I clearly see what you see, its not like I am missing it. I have just seen it for years. many years from top west coast talent. (that doesnt mean im right, just pointing it out that I have seen it for years) I have not talked about the re-plant at all other than "no one is watching the knee".
I will still stick with my opinion on why it isn't called, that doesnt mean I am right about the rule and doesnt mean i think the rule should or should not change.

An umpire has trained to watch for air between cleat and plane/dirt. girls are mastering not showing air. They have been practicing a long time at it.
Add to this my belief that no one is watching the knee that is continually pointed out in the circles of those who dont like it and this is why you don't have a skillset to call the IP with any consistency. Inconsistency will ruin the game I believe is what the governing bodies issue/problem is.
And my final point has been the game is not played in gif's, slo-mo, instant replay or zoom shots so you have the recipe for girls doing what they have been trained for years and it working as instructed (it is not being seen or called).

If you want my opinion on what I think should happen? I'd be happy to share.
Find a rule that can be clearly called and trained to the blues with five nines consistency. Whatever that rule is, if it can be found implement it. Hopefully this rule will protect the pitcher (and corners) a little is my .02. Sadly, I don't have the solution as I havent spent any time looking for one (nor do I think I could produce that solution). Although I do tend to agree that if you don't see air, how can you possibly call a leap?

Nov 18, 2013
BEST Female Collegiate Athlete. BEST. BETTER than ALL in ALL sports. Hard to swallow? It's post like these from pitchers daddies that make me draw the conclusion that pitchers daddies are the one's with the issue (and those whose revenue stream may be interrupted), no one else.

Best Female College Athlete or best self promoter? Her other awards were earned on the field and I respect her for that. The Espy's are just a popularity contest. Vote early and vote often!

It's not just Pitcher Daddy's, although we're probably the most anal about it. I've heard plenty of comments from parents, players and even fans questioning if she's legal. The NCAA could end the debate immediately just by releasing a statement clarifying crow hopping and why it's nit being called. Barnhill isn't the only one, she's just the most visible because of her accomplishments.

Apr 12, 2013
Best Female College Athlete or best self promoter? Her other awards were earned on the field and I respect her for that. The Espy's are just a popularity contest. Vote early and vote often!

Barnhill isn't the only one, she's just the most visible because of her accomplishments.

While I feel shes far from self promoter and her actual skills on the field had her nominated to which she ended up winning, point taken, and absolutely no argument from me on this not an award to hang her hat on, oh I get that.

I agree sooo much Barnhill is not the only one. there are soooo many doing this. I would beg to change your statement to:

Barnhill isn't the only one, she's picked on here because she's a winner and continues winning.

My point there is not as much about disagreeing with you saying "because of her accomplishments", but more pointing out that no one is whining about the bottom 3rd of D1 who has a ton of this style pitchers. No one is watching them and no one knows them. D2? loaded with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12