The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2013
If everyone watches and agrees she is illegal

Sadly the "Everyone watches and agrees" you mention is missing some people in my experience, it's the people who actually matter. The NCAA for starters, then umpires. All the people you reference in your "everyone" sentence don't matter and they are not the ones who make the rules. The people in your group of everyone is just like me, meaningless to the rule. That's my opinion. I am not having anymore replies on the subject from guys who call amateurs cheats who I have addressed already, which includes you.

Jun 1, 2013
Sadly the "Everyone watches and agrees" you mention is missing some people in my experience, it's the people who actually matter. The NCAA for starters, then umpires. All the people you reference in your "everyone" sentence don't matter and they are not the ones who make the rules. The people in your group of everyone is just like me, meaningless to the rule. That's my opinion. I am not having anymore replies on the subject from guys who call amateurs cheats who I have addressed already, which includes you.

Great way to side step the meat of the reply I posted. It is a concerted effort to flaunt the rules, by your description, it is cheating. You can't refute the logic so you pick a sentence that you can take some small issue with and skirt the main body of the response. Amateur or Pro, 8 years old or 18 years old, if you knowingly break the rules to gain an advantage it is cheating. I do not know that we have seen an actual response from the people you say matter about the Barnhill mechanics. Keep skirting and not addressing the real issues and you will be as ignorant as you were 50 replies ago. "I can't see! I can't see!", said the village idiot. A good Samaritan walked by and informed him he had a bag on his head. At this point it is totally up to the village idiot to see or not.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I am stoked that we have another skippy on a top team. This should keep the conversation going on the pitching rules and maybe lead to some changes. She is going to have opposing coaches bursting blood vessels.

Dude was like a softball soothsayer!

Jul 5, 2016
But they haven't done that. They are not doing that. From the meeting notes they are not moving in that direction. They are actually moving in the direction of lessening the penalty on an illegal pitch.

In five years from now when you are still shouting, "enforce the rules!" a class of girls will be finishing their careers in a sport where this rule was never enforced consistently at any level.

The response is to attack the amateur players character? I just don't' get it.

I agree that it is not necessary to single out individual players. The NCAA just needs to enforce the rules. I don't personally have a strong opinion with what the rules ought to be - the world cup softball looked like softball to me - but they should enforce the rules whatever they are.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I've been seeing baserunners leaving early and the umpires are not calling it. therefore I think the rules should change to allow the baserunner to leave the base whenever they want.

Another thing I've been seeing it a lot lately is batters stepping into a pitch. That rule should also change to allow the batter to choose to get hit or not, to eliminate any confusion of whether or not it was intentional or whether or not it should've been called a strike.

certainly those U18 players were not cheating because they are amateurs. so if it's not cheating and it's not being called.....

(sarcasm font off)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
But they haven't done that. They are not doing that. From the meeting notes they are not moving in that direction. They are actually moving in the direction of lessening the penalty on an illegal pitch.

In five years from now when you are still shouting, "enforce the rules!" a class of girls will be finishing their careers in a sport where this rule was never enforced consistently at any level.

The response is to attack the amateur players character? I just don't' get it.

So why would you lessen the penalty if you had no intention of enforcing the rule in the future?

May 17, 2012
I've been seeing baserunners leaving early and the umpires are not calling it. therefore I think the rules should change to allow the baserunner to leave the base whenever they want.

That's not even close to the same analogy.

What if the base runners were leaving early and the umpires refused to call it at all levels. Now the majority of the players are leaving early, but not all of them. As a coach do you tell your players not to leave early even though you know the umpires will not call it if they do? Do you leave your team at a disadvantage when you play teams that do leave early? The umpires, tournament directors, NCAAA, no one cares if you leave early but it is against the rules in the rule book.

What if players play their entire careers with the ability to leave early. Was it really a rule if it was never enforced?

After years of leaving early the problem is discussed and the general suggestion is to "enforce the rules". I would point out that they haven't done that, aren't doing it currently, and apparently have no intentions of doing so. The response then is, "enforce the rules!".

I am not even pro leaping, replanting, staying in the lane, but I am just pointing out the absurdity of "enforce the rules" as a solution in this particular case. It's just not practical.

May 17, 2012
So why would you lessen the penalty if you had no intention of enforcing the rule in the future?

One could argue that if the punishment wasn't so severe that umpires would be more likely to call more illegal pitches. We can certainly hope.

The pessimistic path is that they simply don't care about illegal pitching so they lessened the punishment.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One could argue that if the punishment wasn't so severe that umpires would be more likely to call more illegal pitches. We can certainly hope.

The pessimistic path is that they simply don't care about illegal pitching so they lessened the punishment.

I think that the pessimistic path is also to give up and dumb down the game so anyone can pitch. I think you will find it going the other way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA