The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
4gd please clarify what you mean. You say you disagree but then say to control her footwork and it will make a difference. What do you mean by control the footwork?

Make her legal and it will make a difference?

Yes, make her footwork a true drag and not a leap and replant and I don think she will Ben the exact same pitcher. For one she will have to somewhat focus to keep the old foot work, and if she gets a few IP.s called in games, it could make a difference. Just a few years ago, an IP walked in a wining run. Wasn't the same reason Mimi you, but if they would call the IP, it would change the game. Again just my opionon.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I disagree. Make her control her footwork and it will make a difference. Can't prove this but I believe it. It may not be a lot but, in this game, a little means a lot. JMHO

70 MPH is a pitch speed obtained by very few and Kelly can throw 70 with legal mechanics. Where she is gaining an advantage is she is essentially throwing from 40 ft instead of 43 ft with her replant.

Feb 7, 2013
Where she is gaining an advantage is she is essentially throwing from 40 ft instead of 43 ft with her replant.

Let's use some real math. First off, Barnhill is not gaining an extra 3 feet because of her "replant" and she is not pitching from 40 feet vs 43 feet. Pretty much every SEC pitcher is getting very close to the front of the circle which is 8 feet from the pitching plate. 35 feet (43feet minus 8 feet) is where they are releasing the ball when the stride foot lands. To put this in context my 14YO DD gets to within 1 - 1.5 feet to the front of the circle. She is a smallish 5feet, 4 inches. So what you are saying is Barnhill, without a "replant", would only stride 5 feet from the pitching plate or 1.5 - 2 feet shorter distance than my DD!? Impossible...

I'm calling BS on this one.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Let's use some real math. First off, Barnhill is not gaining an extra 3 feet because of her "replant" and she is not pitching from 40 feet vs 43 feet. Pretty much every SEC pitcher is getting very close to the front of the circle which is 8 feet from the pitching plate. 35 feet (43feet minus 8 feet) is where they are releasing the ball when the stride foot lands. To put this in context my 14YO DD gets to within 1 - 1.5 feet to the front of the circle. She is a smallish 5feet, 4 inches. So what you are saying is Barnhill, without a "replant", would only stride 5 feet from the pitching plate or 1.5 - 2 feet shorter distance than my DD!? Impossible...

I was referring to the fact that the advantage Barnhill gains comes from replanting closer to home plate than legal pitchers. If you want to take the time to measure the actual release point of the ball, knock yourself out. I am on Spring Break enjoying an adult beverage, so I am not going to do it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Is you DD doing this without a leap or leap and replant? If she is doing that legally it is quite an achievement. Most 5'-4" pitchers cannot do this. Of course much has to do with physical build. To put this in context Banrhill, is 5'-8" with a long torso and short legs, yet her stride foot often makes it to the front of the circle. You know the spot. Same place that 6'-3" Moncia Abbott gets to with her long legs and 6'-3" frame. But Barnhills motion is more natural than a toe down legal motion with no real advantage, Right?

Last edited:

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa

Your DD gets out to 7 feet! Wow! How does she get that without a leap? Does she have long legs. My DD is the same height and can only get out to 5.6-6 feet. After that she loses cut and control.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Replant or repush with the drive leg?
Replant with the drive leg, yes many pictures do that.
Repush with the drive leg, well that's a different animal. I don't see how it couldn't be a competitive advantage.

Feb 7, 2013
Replant or repush with the drive leg?
Replant with the drive leg, yes many pictures do that.
Repush with the drive leg, well that's a different animal. I don't see how it couldn't be a competitive advantage.

I don't see a "repush" by Barnhill that gives her an additional 3 feet as has been suggested. Almost all of the better pitchers get close to the front of the circle, including other pitchers in the SEC. I can't believe Barnhill would only stride 5 feet without a "replant".

In addition, some have suggested that dragging the toe is more effecient than a leap, so where is the advantage if Barnhill is using inferiors mechanics?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I don't see a "repush" by Barnhill that gives her an additional 3 feet as has been suggested.

I didn't say anything about a repush giving her an additional 3 feet. I said (paraphrased) her repush gave her an advantage.

Almost all of the better pitchers get close to the front of the circle, including other pitchers in the SEC.
Agreed and I said so in my post.

I can't believe Barnhill would only stride 5 feet without a "replant".
??? I don't get the point of this verbiage?

In addition, some have suggested that dragging the toe is more effecient than a leap, so where is the advantage if Barnhill is using inferiors mechanics?
Who said anything about inferior mechanics? I think her mechanics and timing are spot on if you are going to jump out and restart the pitch at around the 39'-40' mark.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid