Team Morale Unraveling a Bit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
I watched this happen and here were some changes that had occurred proceeding it:

Using pickups to have a couple extra players and benching regulars.
Signing a new player who wasn't up to par, and the players tell you they don't want.
Pulling players mid inning without an explanation (even after the game or at the practice)
Changing what works

Reserve some practice time for fun physical activity-warm up with frisbee toss simulating throwing the hands, mini footballs for hand-eye, tennis balls for fielding, etc.

Observe the player interaction, you might have someone causing a rift. If your DD is on the team, might need to have an impartial party keep an eye out.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
This time of year is always stressful for everyone in this neck of the woods. Tryouts, trying to field a team for Fall Ball and tournaments that are still going on is the major issue. We deal with this several ways. First, our tournament schedule from the time we start (usually in April) is 3 weeks on and one week off the first month then 2 weeks of tourneys and one week off after that. Once a week we practice regardless. The weeks off give the girls time to "miss" each other and softball and also gives the family a much needed break. It seems to keep everyone fresh throughout the season. Also, we usually have some type of entertainment whether it's a radio blaring the latest teen rage rock group/singer before practice starts so the girls can sing and dance to them or going to DQ after practice every blue moon. It kind of keeps things loose even during this time of year. Movie nights and other off the field events offer the families time away from softball and DDs which help the team bond without drama as well. Just a few suggestions.

Feb 3, 2011
Tournament season isnt over here. Tryouts have started and there are tournaments well into October.
I don't see the benefit of year-round softball for adolescents vs taking significant time off at least twice a year to enjoy other aspects of being young without the worry of the next lesson, practice, or game.

I know I'm in a softball crazy area, but even the top programs here give their teams a month off following nationals, even if every player has to try out in order to get a spot for the following year. Having the time to vacation and be free for much of August is vital to keeping the players' lives balanced.

They get another break between Dec-Jan. That's still too much softball for most people, but at least they aren't going non-stop.

That's NO guarantee for preventing drama and tension, but when you get to that point in the season where what you describe is going on, yes, taking a break is the right course of action, because less is more. Trying to get ready for a tournament under those conditions isn't going to benefit anyone.

Jan 24, 2011
I don't see the benefit of year-round softball for adolescents vs taking significant time off at least twice a year to enjoy other aspects of being young without the worry of the next lesson, practice, or game.

I know I'm in a softball crazy area, but even the top programs here give their teams a month off following nationals, even if every player has to try out in order to get a spot for the following year. Having the time to vacation and be free for much of August is vital to keeping the players' lives balanced.

They get another break between Dec-Jan. That's still too much softball for most people, but at least they aren't going non-stop.

That's NO guarantee for preventing drama and tension, but when you get to that point in the season where what you describe is going on, yes, taking a break is the right course of action, because less is more. Trying to get ready for a tournament under those conditions isn't going to benefit anyone.

We usually play till around the middle of October , then we do no organized team practices till January. We also took about a 3 week break around the end of June -first of July.

Last edited:

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
"I coach a 14u team."

Same as others have said - HORMONES!!

"School has started back recently ..."

We had groups of girls from 4 different schools 3 of which competed against each other. During TB season they all got along great 'dissing' each others' schools but in a fun way. Now that they are in school they have to 'hate' each other since they play for different teams. School definitely changes their perspective.

The good news is that it all seems to be fine when school is over... Unless boys are involved in the conflicts! That 'season' doesn't ever seem to end.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
...girls and parents start COMPARING themselves to each other more often...this is often the seed of discontent. Everybody starts getting NERVOUS. I'm better, you aren't earning your opportunities, why am I not getting that opportunity, etc. etc......less about team (and winning) and more about me and accomplishment.

The solution? Keep the focus on team accomplishments even as you help everyone reach their personal goals. An impossible balancing act, but the only way forward....

Coaches can thwart this aspect by ALWAYS communicating with parents and players about what they see as needing improvement. The minute a coach starts showing favoritism (keeping a SS in after three games with 2 or more errors each game or a pitcher who routinely burns out after 4 innings...) he better have a good reason why others' are not playing. Saying, "we want players to work through their problems" or "Because she is the number one" are not reasons that fly. My DD team this year had those exact issues and those answers. Never were there supportive comments or 'team' concepts or even individual improvement needs addressed.

The final straw for most of our players came when the SS pulled herself from a tournament game after three errors and the replacement had zero errors and turned two DP's - one un-assisted - then the coaches started the first girl the next game! We also saw the 'number one' pitcher melt down in a game giving up 7 runs in the last two innings to tie it in the last inning. The next pitcher inheirited bases loaded in international tie breaker inning with no outs. One girl hit to SS who erred and let the run in then the pitcher threw for three outs. Guess who started the next game?

Coaches who communicate and validate their reasons for play time can can be respected and avoid the girls and parents ever putting 'me' before the team.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My DD is a freshman in HS this fall. It's been a tough adjustment - it's a long day that starts at 7:30 a.m, many of her elective classes are with upper classmen (she sits in between two senior football players in one class - given that DD is 95 lb and the football boys average 250 it's a bit of a strange situation!). It's also hard to eat regularly in school - they get 1/2 hour for lunch. Most of my DD's grumpiness/irrational behavior comes from hunger. You could try handing out snacks and letting your girls vent for 1/2 an hour before you get down to business at practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06