Team Morale Unraveling a Bit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I coach a 14u team. My girls have gone pretty much all year with little/no drama and are pretty close. But , over the last couple of weeks , there has started to be some sniping back and forth and some nerves are starting to become frayed. They dont seem to be as tolerant of one another and the on field performance has begun to suffer. School has started back recently and a few them are playing school sports as well softball. I think some of them are just tired and things are getting to them much more easily than before. So , I have decided to not practice or play for the next couple of weeks to give the team a break. Have you guys gone through this ? How did you handle it? Any help would be appreciated. (Serious comments only please)

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Quincy has a good idea...rather than interrupt routine practices, throw in a fun practice...perhaps a game between parents and players? Or Kickball? It's a good stress reliever without all the pressure normally involved.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I coach a 14u team

Bingo!! This seems to be the most difficult age to "deal" with drama. The girls are caught in the middle of growing out of being little girls and entering young woman hood. The rush of hormones, physical body changes, and interests in the "male" side can play havoc on some females. Jealousy also turns up the dial because of some who physically develop faster than others. ( hips, chest area, clear skin ) Girls are very competitive when it comes to looks. Then you stick 12 of them together in tight quarters every weekend, hot as the devil, and each one is not only trying to figure out what is going on in their own head/body.....................but also the other 11 around them. Then add in the competitiveness of softball....................

You are doing the right thing. Take a few weeks off and it "usually" clears itself up. We always take August off, for one as you describe above, and two because the heat is just dangerous.

Disclaimer: Boys go through this about 15-16. That's when boys do stupid stuff and fight each other like two bulls in a pasture. HORMONES

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Bingo!! This seems to be the most difficult age to "deal" with drama. The girls are caught in the middle of growing out of being little girls and entering young woman hood. The rush of hormones, physical body changes, and interests in the "male" side can play havoc on some females. Jealousy also turns up the dial because of some who physically develop faster than others. ( hips, chest area, clear skin ) Girls are very competitive when it comes to looks. Then you stick 12 of them together in tight quarters every weekend, hot as the devil, and each one is not only trying to figure out what is going on in their own head/body.....................but also the other 11 around them. Then add in the competitiveness of softball....................

You are doing the right thing. Take a few weeks off and it "usually" clears itself up. We always take August off, for one as you describe above, and two because the heat is just dangerous.

Disclaimer: Boys go through this about 15-16. That's when boys do stupid stuff and fight each other like two bulls in a pasture. HORMONES
I don't think your disclaimer is enough to stop what (who) you think it might stop. LOL :)

Feb 3, 2011
What's the rationale for NOT taking prescribed time off in August once tournament season ends?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I notice by the end of the season everyone's nerves are frayed a bit. Players, coaches and parents. After doing 10 weekends in a row who wouldn't be ready for a break. The past two years I leave right after the last game of Nationals (Regionals really) is played and I try to keep DD from SB during Aug. She does the minimum if a tryout is needed but I try narrow down the teams to one or two. Once she makes a team she coasts the rest of August. We don't talk SB, we don't even look at the equipment. Sept practices will get here soon enough and everyone will be fresh again.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't think your disclaimer is enough to stop what (who) you think it might stop. LOL I guess I'm officially not a rookie anymore when I read that and thought the same thing.It's like when I say a wise crack to my wife and I have to duck.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
I coach a 14U team going to 16U this fall (mostly freshman this year)....we had a very successful and happy year, culminating in a great national's showing. But I could see some seeds of discontent...I don't know your precise situation, but you're at a time when things start to get serious...high school ball comes into play, parents start thinking about college exposure, etc....girls and parents start COMPARING themselves to each other more often...this is often the seed of discontent. Everybody starts getting NERVOUS. I'm better, you aren't earning your opportunities, why am I not getting that opportunity, etc. etc......less about team (and winning) and more about me and accomplishment.

The solution? Keep the focus on team accomplishments even as you help everyone reach their personal goals. An impossible balancing act, but the only way forward....

My two cents.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06