teaching field positions- best way?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2011
I'm managing/coaching an 8U team- I'm looking for suggestions in teaching the girls different field positions since it can be confusing. What I don't like is the league requires them to not play same position 2 innings....they want us to move them around. So how do you effectively teach each girl how to start playing 2nd- then other positions- they can get confused easily (understandably so!)- I'm just looking for any tips- Do I put 4 in infield at a time and let them rotate? Seems as though once they get one position- its easy to confuse them by moving...... any tips are welcomed- Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not like the rule but …

1st and 3rd stand on their base then take three steps towards the pitching rubber.

2nd and SS in front of the baseline, more or less in the middle of the pitcher and the player next to them.

You should be able to teach the above to all the players.

Basically define simple rules for thier positions.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At that age (really at all ages) its better to keep a kid on the same side of the field so they are backing up the position they played earlier and vice versa. AS much as possible, kids on the left side of the infield try to keep in left, kids on the right side try to keep in right, up the middle stays up the middle. 1st base goes to Right, Pitcher goes to center, SS to catcher, second to pitcher, third to left...

Mar 13, 2010
2nd and SS in front of the baseline, more or less in the middle of the pitcher and the player next to them.

Noooooo. 2nd and SS always outside the infield. Never inside unless it's a set play. Much safer there and gives them more time to react.

Nov 29, 2009
What I don't like is the league requires them to not play same position 2 innings....they want us to move them around.

What a GREAT rule!!!!! At 8U they need to learn what it's like to play ALL the positions. It may not make for the best games or scores. At 8u WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!! Teach them the entire game so they know what everyone is supposed to be doing on the field when they get older. It also keeps a mom or dad from pigeon holing a kid into a position because they think the kid belongs there. At 8U you have no idea how well a kid will play any position until they get older. It sounds like you league is run by people who understand developing ALL the kids is the most important thing. Kudos to them. Is it easy for the coach? Nope!! Is it good for the kids? You betcha!!!! Kids win!!!

Split your girls into two groups. At each practice teach two different positions. For example if one group is working SS have the other working 1B. At the halfway point switch. Make sure they all get plenty of reps. Make it VERY basic for them. Have a short list of 3 or 4 skills they will need for each position and work them. Plan it out ahead of time and you'll be surprised how much you can get done in the space of 90 minutes.

Remember to only work a couple of things at a time. Anything else will overload them and you'll accomplish nothing. Another piece of advice when dealing with very young kids. NEVER assume they know something. Be sure to try and explain what they are trying to accomplish. Tell them if they don't understand what you're saying it's OK for them to stop you and ask questions. I'll tell you from experience if one asks there are others who are just as confused.

Nov 29, 2009
Noooooo. 2nd and SS always outside the infield. Never inside unless it's a set play. Much safer there and gives them more time to react.

These are 8U kids he's talking about. I haven't seen too many kids who can hit a ball hard enough to hurt a middle infielder. Moving them in is more about giving them the best chance to try an make a play with some confidence.

Mar 13, 2010
These are 8U kids he's talking about. I haven't seen too many kids who can hit a ball hard enough to hurt a middle infielder. Moving them in is more about giving them the best chance to try an make a play with some confidence.

I coach kids this age. I'd rather them learn the position properly at their age and make the play correctly, even if the runner is safe.

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think having a kid standing behind the baseline at 8u and waiting the 10 seconds it takes for the ball to roll to them there is "teaching the position".

At that age, you're not teaching positions, you're teaching fundamentals and game basics. You can't really "teach positions" until you're teaching stealing and bunt coverages, backups, ect (most of which are prohibited in 8u), so it's sort of pointless to "teach positions" anyway.

I agree with playing them in a bit and letting them play the game, they're supposed to be having fun first, and the learning is secondary (trust me, they're learning, even if you aren't shoving it down their little throats).

-W

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I coach kids this age. I'd rather them learn the position properly at their age and make the play correctly, even if the runner is safe.
I fully respect your approach and reasons. Just to nitpick "properly" is not marked by an "X" on the field. The proper place to play is where you have the best chance to make plays, in this case that is closer to the plate.

Jul 26, 2010
We actually use throwdowns at 45' at this age, I think that's a good compromise that may suit all parties.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish