Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Well, now I have to jump in and say .... NEVERMIND. LOL IMO, have the player talk with the HC and ask if she can get some time in the circle on JV. If not, then take your dd off of the team.

I probably should not add this. I had a situation this fall where one young lady thought that she was V. She could not make plays when I put her into the game. She asked if she could pitch on the JV. Heck yes. This was her way of wanting to get time in the circle and show me that she was V. We have scrimmages that are sometimes 2 or 3 innings but with situations like having a runner on 1st or runner on 2nd, ... In these scrimmages, she would not throw a strike. Her parents were upset that I put so much pressure on her. Heck, I didn't at all. Her parents had her quit. I don't know what she gained since she was getting to play on the JV but more power to them. I hope that she is happy without the pressure I was putting on her.
Pressure? In a scrimmage???

Oct 3, 2019
To be honest, I am a little touchy when age is factored in. Many will recall that last year I was posting that I was done coaching. Then, an emergency happened and the school that I am at needed a HC. I jumped back in. I still think I have something to offer. I do understand that many most likely view me the same way and think it is time I step to the side. It is the way of all things.
We have 80 year olds managing in MLB. I see no reason why someone in their 60s or even 70s wouldn't be able to coach a fastpitch team at any level, other than their just not wanting to do it.

Sep 3, 2015
DD made varsity as a freshman, and the new HS coach basically had his mind made up about who would be doing most of the pitching and it wasn’t my DD.

He was a former rec coach who favored his rec players and had zero understanding of TB.

Slowly she made her point, she’s a senior now with a career 0.75 ERA (0.30 this season in 47IP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Figured I would write another update. My daughter finally got in the circle tonight. She pitched 5 innings. Had 9 Ks, 1 walk, 4 hits and 2 earned runs. She also got to hit and was 2-3 with 2 RBI, a single and double. Hopefully this is the start of more time in the circle. I'm not sure who was more nervous before the game, her or me. I just wanted her to do well in this opportunity and she did what she normally does and pitched well.
Awesome! Aren't you glad she stuck it out!

Aug 20, 2018
Regular season is over. Daughter ended up throwing 24 innings this year. She started 3 games and came in 1 other game because they were losing only to have the team come back and win. So she was 4-0, 24 innings, 32k's, 4BB's, 2.43 ERA with an opponent BA of .219. So she did get some innings in this year, but it was pretty frustrating with a lot of frustrated tears. I've never had my daughter tell me she hates softball before this year. I'll let her make up her own mind, but I wouldn't be upset if she didn't go out next year and just plays travel.

Thanks to everyone for the input and discussion, it's really appreciated.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Regular season is over. Daughter ended up throwing 24 innings this year. She started 3 games and came in 1 other game because they were losing only to have the team come back and win. So she was 4-0, 24 innings, 32k's, 4BB's, 2.43 ERA with an opponent BA of .219. So she did get some innings in this year, but it was pretty frustrating with a lot of frustrated tears. I've never had my daughter tell me she hates softball before this year. I'll let her make up her own mind, but I wouldn't be upset if she didn't go out next year and just plays travel.

Thanks to everyone for the input and discussion, it's really appreciated.

24 out of how many total for the team?

Jun 22, 2019
My daughter was in the exact opposite situation. She was a Jr. and there were a Sr. and sophomore pitcher as well. The difference between them was small. My girl was probably a little faster than the other two (62-63 vs. 59-60), but all serviceable pitchers.

My daughter started the year pitching every inning. They played a tournament and she pitched 3 games in one day (234 pitches) early in the season. She got a blister on her finger and on her plant foot. Her shoulder was sore and she was pitching like crap in the last game.

I asked the coach why she wouldn’t put the other girls in. I explained that we needed them to be ready and they need innings to be ready. The coach then said, she was going to play the best 9 in whatever position she wanted and she would not discuss playing time (she didn’t know my daughter was the one pitching every game). I then explained who my daughter was and that if she put her on the rubber for the games the next day we were going to need a private conference because she was hurting her.

On the bus, the coach talked to my girl and said she was sorry for pushing her too hard. The next day both of the other girls pitched and we won both of the games.

The rest of the season they got to split innings and they performed way better as a team.

Moral of the story is a grown up conversation might help resolve some of the issues. Girl pitching every game probably would like some rest as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478