teaching field positions- best way?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't think having a kid standing behind the baseline at 8u and waiting the 10 seconds it takes for the ball to roll to them there is "teaching the position".

Well I'm not teaching the kids to wait for a ball to roll to them. They're taught to attack it.

I believe in teaching the kids the proper positions and how to play them properly. Teaching them inside the baseline is teaching them the wrong positioning. We have the same attitude to pitching here. A lot of the younger kids struggle to get it over the plate when pitching windmill, so a lot of clubs have them teach slingshot. They get it over the plate! Of course, we now have 12/13/15 year olds still pitching that way, because no-one ever bothered to teach them the right way. (and not 'proper' slingshot, with full rotation. They're literally standing at the plate and pulling their arm back and throwing it in)

It might mean we get less outs at the start of the year, but by the end of it, they're making the plays from the right positioning. And these are seven and eight year olds.

Mar 13, 2010
No problem. I actully thought I had! Oops ;-)

How I teach the kids in my team, is at the first training I show them the positions and where they should be standing. When we're doing field work I have a flat bit of felt (with the position number on it) that is put at the positions where they should be standing. They get five hits each and then we move. During the games, they generally move every dig. They don't get it 100% right every time, but they're right more often then not.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I have never worked with 8 u...except last year our TB coach, me and the girls did coach a beginning 10u rec team and there were some 8 yr old players.

However...when I coached 12 and 11 year olds... some who were first year players...i put it on paper. They had to learn two positions and I put it on paper where i wanted them...what their responsibilities were and what their back up responsibility was. All positions.

Told them to talk to their parents about it till they understood... and ask questions. Had a ask question session before practice and after. It seemed to really speed up the learning curve. Its a mental thing so why not use the mind more outside of practice time. My wife teaches kindergarten and they have to learn much harder things that this. And it helped coach dad/mom stay on the same page as me.

Sep 3, 2009
Noooooo. 2nd and SS always outside the infield. Never inside unless it's a set play. Much safer there and gives them more time to react.

At 8u I'd say that you absolutely want them inside the running lane. I play my 10U (rec) girls inside the running lane as well or they stand very little chance of making a play. It isn't because the throw is shorter, it's because the balls just aren't hit hard enough for them to have a chance at it.

I believe in teaching the kids the proper positions and how to play them properly. Teaching them inside the baseline is teaching them the wrong positioning.

I disagree that it is teaching the wrong positioning. The correct positioning is putting the girls where they can make the plays and in the case of younger, smaller kids, that means in closer. The young kids pitch from 35 feet don't they? Have to make adjustments as they grow older.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish