TDs, please pull your heads out of your backsides

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DDs final tournament with current team was this weekend. went 2-1 on Saturday, losing only to the team that is going to win tournament (A team hiding as B, part of org running the tournament they crushed everyone they played, 3 game RD +31, we scored two of the 3 runs scored against them in 3 games, only 6 teams in tourney, including another (one year younger) team from org running tournament. only 6 teams in our age group

first, we had our first two games back to back, including switching fields, neither of the two teams from the org running the tournament moved at all all day, even when they had 1.5 hour break. and of course, the two teams from the same org do not have to play each other (as it would be automatic loss for younger team).

so we finish in third place in pool (two org teams are one and two, both 3 and 0).

we and about 2 other teams travelled 1.5 hours for this tourney (not staying over, driving each day). Sat night rain. TD sends message out on Twitter at 530 that they checked fields, no rain overnight (this was NOT the case), and we would try to go and only light rain forecasted (again, wrong, when I checked at 5:30, forecast had .15 - .2 inches per hour from 9 AM to mid afternoon). we pack up and leave, DWs phone on directions. we do not get messages, as they come across, but they wait until 730 to call off bracket, even if we had got that right away, we had been on road for hour already (8 am arrival for 9 am game). their two teams are still in bed because they do not play until 10:40.

TD, pull your head out of your arse, if you have a 9 AM game scheduled, and you know teams are travelling from over an hour away, you must make that call by 630 AM, not 730. sure, doesnt affect your team, so I guess you dont care (judging by the way you ran the rest of the tournament), but a lot of us just wasted a lot of gas, time, and sleep.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Geeez...
This scenario is why having some background experience comes in handy and coaches stay away from problematic venues.
Hope you have clear sailing going forward!

BTW teams can come to so cal to compete....no a.b.c. ratings...
Just play win win win or lose lose lose....
And who you play or lose to seems to be irrelevant come posting for tryouts.

"We paid to play in this tournament"
( like thats an achievement)
Does not include we lost both games are were done by noon.... ;)

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
We had a rain out this weekend on Sunday as well but they did a good job. Sent out the initial delay at 5:30AM for the 8AM games pushing back to a 10AM but then called it at 7:30AM. Rained all day and they made the right call.

May 6, 2015
Geeez...
This scenario is why having some background experience comes in handy and coaches stay away from problematic venues.

in our area, due to everything going on, you kinda of had to take what you could get lately, were werent even supposed to be playing this weekend, but it was a substitute for another tournament that got cancelled, local municipality shut down the venue, happened to us a few times this spring/summer season

I mean to me the easiest call for a TD to make is to cancel braket play. they generally do not have to issue refunds, and they do not have to pay umpires, financially a win/win. where they that hungry to have their A team mercy rule 2 more teams?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
in our area, due to everything going on, you kinda of had to take what you could get lately, were werent even supposed to be playing this weekend, but it was a substitute for another tournament that got cancelled, local municipality shut down the venue, happened to us a few times this spring/summer season

I mean to me the easiest call for a TD to make is to cancel braket play. they generally do not have to issue refunds, and they do not have to pay umpires, financially a win/win. where they that hungry to have their A team mercy rule 2 more teams?
Completely understand the conundrum.
:) did they have a common sense disclaimer? 😄

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles