Tanner 12, first year at 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That’s fair. But understand what you want them to be and what works best for them could be two different things. Like mentioned before....try everything. Keep what works. Throw away what doesn’t.

Their mother was taught to open up and pivot the body open with turning the back foot by John Gay. She became a good pitcher regardless of how I tried to correct her. She did the monkey butt or clearing the pelvis for her arm action.

BTW. These are my nieces kids. I’m simple known as uncle Shawn. 🥎

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Their mother was taught to open up and pivot the body open with turning the back foot by John Gay. She became a good pitcher regardless of how I tried to correct her. She did the monkey butt or clearing the pelvis for her arm action.

BTW. These are my nieces kids. I’m simple known as uncle Shawn.

DD’s PC approaches the position with K.I.S.S. There are some non-negotiable mechanics and then there is individual style. Much like hitting. And it’s crazy how the two things (pitching and hitting) share similarities.

For DD....it was a process of unlearning old teachings and relearning a foundation that let her grow correctly. Mr. Hillhouse and I have had some brief discussions on his style versus what DD’s PC teaches. For DD....we’ve ended up incorporating a mixture of both. It works for her.

The thing I love about pitching is that once the foundation is built it’s very stylistic.

Pitching can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. My suggestion for your nieces...keep it simple now and build the house. Then tweak from there.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You already know the answers. Monkey butt for sure. No brush whatsoever. She actually looks really good despite those things but she can be so much better and I think you know that already. Teach her to brush and throw the ball down. Pretend there is a bug on the ground 3 feet in front of her and throw it down! Kill that bug! THROW IT DOWN! notice I didn't say pitch it. THROW IT!!! When you do that everything works and the forearm can brush and roll around the hip to make that happen.

She looks amazingly athletic and she can go really far. Just a few changes and your DD will kill it!!! As I always say to everyone, reach out, let me explain it to you, and then decide if it is for you. I am happy to help or at least have a discussion. Just don't let time go by without exhausting your options. I did that with my oldest and regret it....

S3

Lay it on me. I always enjoy conversations. 👍

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Wow, what an improvement already. Keep pushing her. Maybe you have, but always set goals for the girls. Then once those are met set new ones.

This is me nit-picking but I'd try to get her to position her drag foot more on the tips of her toes rather than the inside of the big toe. That will help with the hip and decrease whatever anchor feeling may be left. But, again, huge improvement here from the last video you posted.

I'd also push her to get a little deeper on her drive leg. There's more power there that she isn't tapping into yet. I always tell DD....let the bottom half help your top half. Don't use only half of the body to do the whole job.

Any reason for not utilizing a step-back or start-back position?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes, It’s nice to video and coach them with a catcher. I coach them because their mother is to hard on them and doesn’t have the patience I have. It’s the old parent kid thing. The girls love me, I always encourage them and praise them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles