Tanner 12, first year at 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Same thing, Looking for input on Tanner.

Attachments

• 052B4501-D87C-457C-8C30-CA9C304DB57B.gif
    052B4501-D87C-457C-8C30-CA9C304DB57B.gif
    18.4 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Overall she looks pretty good to me. I would work on better posture and more BI. It's tough to get a clear view of what her arm is doing on the downswing. She might be bending over too much with the idea that the arm has to clear the side as it comes into release. Keeping the arm flexed with the elbow leading into BI is important.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here’s my problem with her and her sister. They are opening from the feet to the shoulders without the core/pelvis being involved. Very distal actions. Pitching is more then leg drive, getting sideways and using the arm.

Her lowerbody locks up and her pelvis/torso. No stretch between the lowerbody/pelvis while shoulders are open at foot plant.

The back leg/knee shouldn’t be left behind.

It seems you have to teach them everything just like hitting.

379A5973-11B8-4B0E-AD31-0D32768AD5B5.gif

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm sitting here watching Florida's Natalie Lugo on tape and she has a lot of monkey butt and no BI so there are some high level pitchers with similar mechanics. I think the other Florida ace, Elizabeth Hightower shares some of the same characteristics.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I'm sitting here watching Florida's Natalie Lugo on tape and she has a lot of monkey butt and no BI so there are some high level pitchers with similar mechanics. I think the other Florida ace, Elizabeth Hightower shares some of the same characteristics.
agree 110%. I have wondered so many times how good Hightower would be with better mechanics. I think she would be but perhaps she wouldn't. I think she would. Every pitch she throws looks like it takes so much effort.......

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Same thing, Looking for input on Tanner.
You already know the answers. Monkey butt for sure. No brush whatsoever. She actually looks really good despite those things but she can be so much better and I think you know that already. Teach her to brush and throw the ball down. Pretend there is a bug on the ground 3 feet in front of her and throw it down! Kill that bug! THROW IT DOWN! notice I didn't say pitch it. THROW IT!!! When you do that everything works and the forearm can brush and roll around the hip to make that happen.

She looks amazingly athletic and she can go really far. Just a few changes and your DD will kill it!!! As I always say to everyone, reach out, let me explain it to you, and then decide if it is for you. I am happy to help or at least have a discussion. Just don't let time go by without exhausting your options.

S3

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I’ve watched OSU many times and they have a lefty that stays open. In fact over the years I’ve seen many lefties with that style. Her motion is still more than just opening up.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You already know the answers. Monkey butt for sure. No brush whatsoever. She actually looks really good despite those things but she can be so much better and I think you know that already. Teach her to brush and throw the ball down. Pretend there is a bug on the ground 3 feet in front of her and throw it down! Kill that bug! THROW IT DOWN! notice I didn't say pitch it. THROW IT!!! When you do that everything works and the forearm can brush and roll around the hip to make that happen.

She looks amazingly athletic and she can go really far. Just a few changes and your DD will kill it!!! As I always say to everyone, reach out, let me explain it to you, and then decide if it is for you. I am happy to help or at least have a discussion. Just don't let time go by without exhausting your options. I did that with my oldest and regret it....

S3

When Tanner is off, she throws high.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
As others have said. Monkey butt. Breaking at the elbow. Some swim but not the worst I’ve seen. (DD was awful. We still fight it some.) BUT...it’s clear that with some small fixes she will be right on the money.

A drill that can help the monkey butt and swimming. Some may not agree with it, but it really helped DD.

Get a PVC pipe or dowel rod. Something she can hold with two hands shoulder width apart. Have her hold the pvc pipe with both hands shoulder width apart and up at shoulder level....straight out in front. Make her stride full speed holding it out 10-15 times. She has to keep the pipe out front and shoulder level the whole time. Then have her do it with only the glove hand holding the pvc pipe and have throwing arm go through the circle without a ball 10-15 times. Then do it again but add a ball. Now have her put the glove on but make her hold it out front same to when holding the pvc pipe and pitch....10-15 times. Then have her start normal and pitch.

The point is the drill is to eliminate the monkey butt by forcing the upper body and hips to stay square longer start to finish. Naturally the body will open up during arm circle but the hip should close near release and encourage brush. With the hips/belly button ending in a 45 deg position. It also helps eliminate swimming at the same time. Her drag foot should also hold a straighter line right up until release. Then it might make a C
Or come up. That’s fine.

If DD’s swimming comes back or starts “bowling”....we come back to this drill.

The other thing that will help monkey butt is to make a balance beam. Just a 2x6 or 2x8 that’s long enough for her to step pitch on. If the drag leg swings to far behind she will fall off after release. I made DD’s as an “I” shape. It raised it just enough that if she wasn’t balanced it was immediately recognized.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00