Swinging at first pitch vs working the count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
After a winter of watching DD's 11U team pound ball after ball in the cage with reckless abandon, I'm witnessing a disturbing trend now that the season has started. They all are taking first pitch strikes! Our coach has tried everything to get them into an aggressive mindset to be ready and loaded to hit. After the first strike, they get into panic mode, and for the most part, striking out a lot.

I just wonder what really goes on in the mind of an 11 year old and how to tap into the inner beast mode.

I will go nuts if I have to watch this all summer.

That got me thinking after watching Georgia play Florida. The announcers commented about how Georgia goes after a lot of pitches earlier in the count vs Florida who like to work the count.

If the pitching is relatively decent, would mandating every player must swing at the first pitch to free their minds up?

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried this or has any input from a similar dilemma.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
According to a study of Division I baseball for 5 years, the batting average on the first pitch, or 0-0 count, is .186. The batting average on the 0-1 count is .199. Below I have noted the Batting Averages on Specific Counts:

Count/ Batting Average

0-2/ .118
1-2/ .151

2-2/ .169

0-0/ .186

3-2/ .192

0-1/ .199

3-0/ .267

1-1/ .269

2-1/ .290

3-1/ .329

2-0/ .342

1-0/ .386

At the major league level, the average player sees 3.85 pitches per at-bat. Data has shown that there is a direct correlation between the number of pitches a hitter sees per at-bat and his batting average. Acknowledging this fact, my teams have always had a goal to get to the 4th pitch every time up to the plate. Sometimes we will get to 3 pitches and other times we will get to 6 pitches. What I have found is that by targeting 4 pitches we can improve our on-base percentage, increase our batting average, and impact the number of runs we will score per game. All of which impacts the game positively for us.

*pasted*

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't care for mandating a first pitch swing. That can lead to bad habits of swinging at bad pitches. I also believe seeing at least one pitch from the box sets a batters mind and allows them to see the speed and mental timing of the pitches.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
GD ... in addition to this type of information, there are also studies performed which break out the at-bat in the order in which it took place ... i.e., the first at-bat, the second at-bat, the third at-bat ... For a the first at-bat of a game, the stats paint an even more pessimistic viewpoint in terms of swinging at the first-pitch. There is a reason pitchers are taught to get ahead of the count during the first rotation of the batter's order ... the strategy it is well supported by factual data.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
According to a study of Division I baseball for 5 years, the batting average on the first pitch, or 0-0 count, is .186. The batting average on the 0-1 count is .199. Below I have noted the Batting Averages on Specific Counts:

Count/ Batting Average

0-2/ .118
1-2/ .151

2-2/ .169

0-0/ .186

3-2/ .192

0-1/ .199

3-0/ .267

1-1/ .269

2-1/ .290

3-1/ .329

2-0/ .342

1-0/ .386

At the major league level, the average player sees 3.85 pitches per at-bat. Data has shown that there is a direct correlation between the number of pitches a hitter sees per at-bat and his batting average. Acknowledging this fact, my teams have always had a goal to get to the 4th pitch every time up to the plate. Sometimes we will get to 3 pitches and other times we will get to 6 pitches. What I have found is that by targeting 4 pitches we can improve our on-base percentage, increase our batting average, and impact the number of runs we will score per game. All of which impacts the game positively for us.

*pasted*

baseball doesn't necessarily translate to softball. This is what I've been told with pitching.

softball pitching is closer mechanically to a natural motion and they can thrown many more pitches than their baseball counterparts. In baseball, a strategy is sometimes to get a pitcher's total pitch count up, so you work the pitches and get as deep into their bullpen as you can, especially if there is a double header or a 3 game series. My nephew plays college ball and it sometimes just hurts watching them let those fastballs right down the middle just go by on the first pitch because that was the call.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
baseball doesn't necessarily translate to softball. This is what I've been told with pitching.

softball pitching is closer mechanically to a natural motion and they can thrown many more pitches than their baseball counterparts. In baseball, a strategy is sometimes to get a pitcher's total pitch count up, so you work the pitches and get as deep into their bullpen as you can, especially if there is a double header or a 3 game series. My nephew plays college ball and it sometimes just hurts watching them let those fastballs right down the middle just go by on the first pitch because that was the call.

I can agree, to a point. One reason is why I use baseball studies is because there aren't nearly as many softball studies concluded. The principals are/should be close, you're still "working" the count. In a game situation the more pitches you see, the better chance you have of picking up the particular type pitch coming. Seeing them from the dugout or on deck doesn't give the "breaking view" from the box.

Yes, you're right on getting deep into the bullpen, but weekend tourneys you can do the same in softball. High pitch counts and long hot days will take a toll even on windmill pitchers over the course of a tourney. I've seen a lot of "ace" pitchers who were out of gas by the time their team reached the semi or champ game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
GD ... in addition to this type of information, there are also studies performed which break out the at-bat in the order in which it took place ... i.e., the first at-bat, the second at-bat, the third at-bat ... For a the first at-bat of a game, the stats paint an even more pessimistic viewpoint in terms of swinging at the first-pitch. There is a reason pitchers are taught to get ahead of the count during the first rotation of the batter's order ... the strategy it is well supported by factual data.

I've looked for a short time online, I can't find any published studies from a "softball" perspective.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm confused. In college baseball, a batter's average with an 0-0 count is .186. Yet in MLB, it's .332.

Why the huge discrepancy?

2012 National League splits

IMO, the first pitch is an excellent time to swing - so long as it's an excellent pitch to hit. You can't give away that opportunity and be a good hitter, but you also can't take the approach that ''if it's a strike, I'm hacking.'' Good hitters find the balance.

Im right in the middle on this one ....if my lefty slapper is leading off i want her to take as many pitches she can (work the count )...and get on base..... if she doesnt get on base she has probably seen every pitch the pitcher has so she can come back to the dugout and let the rest of the team know what this girl is throwing but this is at a higher level. But you still need to have girls that are good 2 strike hitters... If you dont have girls that can hit with 2 strikes your going to leave a lot of runners on base......now as far as 11-12 U girls hitting the first pitch especially first time through the lineup is IMO not a great thing unless you just have a team of stud hitters with great timing..... But as for the 2nd time through absoultly your swinging first pitch asuming is a good pitch too hit.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand