Swing thoughts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Her tendency has been to have T-Rex arms and having an all rotational swing so the last couple months she has been working on getting her arms going before contacting the ball and getting them to full extension. It's been tough to get her going on the change but this is where she has gotten so far. Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksO0swYmJ7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0DoR33QxM

I just gotta say that I am not one to pull your chain. I don't post much on young girls swings because I really don't believe in really tweaking on them until 10 or so. That said, she has some really good stuff going on. Some stuff much older girls would like to have. I was just talking a minute ago about moving out as a unit, not striding or reaching out with the front leg. She does very nicely. Her hands and the "power V" in the rear arm is very nice.
Keep doing what you are doing. Point out the what I said is nice. The moving out as a unit….at one time I would say "ride or surf the rear leg out", maybe work some on showing the pitcher her right back pocket as she is moving out. Doesn't have to be extreme, just a bit of tight coil. Show her her nice handset, just for her to know, so many girls loose that and get so long to the ball. Then just throw in some swings where you tell her to just "GO BIG", just give it all she has to kill the ball, no other thought or concerns, just go big. Maybe do it with some wiffles, liteflights, or baseballs, something a little lighter that doesn't slow her swing at contact.
Good job.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Thanks RHC, she does hit whiffles, but only for one handed drills. I have a ton of baseballs around so we'll add in a dedicated "Go Big" portion during her hitting like she does in her pitching. I sort of have to agree with you about holding off until an older age when hitting. I put off tweaking her swing until I noticed that she could hit softballs without a lot of bat deflection.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
gyLMQq.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Very Nice!

That is a rotational to linear hand-path. Centripetal to centrifugal.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Congrats! The two of you have done well.

Would prefer to see the lower body beginning the sequence over the upper body, but overall she's in decent shape.

Keep swinging!

ad2mwm.gif

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
She's trying to be more aggressive and get a little more coil. Any improvement?

[video=youtube_share;JGP3Xlo934I]http://youtu.be/JGP3Xlo934I[/video]

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
1-14-15
ZKE8iB.gif

11-12-14
ad2mwm.gif

Just let her swing. Might be 'over coaching' to soon. If you see the before & after. Before looked better.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I agree that I liked her previous swing. It's always a little tricky getting kids to go bigger without them going to far and breaking down mechanics. With my older daughter, when she starts trying too hard, her arms start getting way more involved than they should. They become the power source instead of a transmission device. I also agree to tread with caution. Your DD has a great swing for her age. Take great precaution not to break the good parts of it.

If I had any real comment to make it would be along the lines of what RHC had mentioned about showing the rear pocket to the pitcher. In the frames below, I feel like she is getting very bendy at the waist. When I work on coiling, I am working on tightening my rear hip. My goal with any backward or back/around movement is that all the movement is being realized in my rear hip. With your DD, she is separating at her waist. She is moving back and around, but it is not reaching her rear hip. IMO that movement is not the kind of coil that you desire. If that movement did reach her rear hip, you would see what we are talking about with showing her rear pocket to the pitcher.

I would suggest considering the HI concept of upper torso fusion. This means that the upper torso from shoulders all the way down to and including the pelvis move as one solid unit. When all of this gets fused and you move back and around (the rear leg), you will get very coiled into your rear hip.

Also be aware of the concept of launching into the coil. Do not think of it as coil and uncoil, but coil into the rear hip and then launch into the coil so as to tighten it even more. She is already doing this somewhat by keeping her hands behind her rear leg, but it could be even deeper and better.

I believe that combining this with her already great ability to launch and keep her hands behind her rear leg will be a very good complement to each other.

WP%2020141111%20013.gif

If you think she is doing good at launching rearward, move that tee way back and challenge her. Put it even with her belly button and see if she can still hit with power up the middle. Move it even farther back and see if she can hit opposite field with power. It's hard work to stay behind the rear leg, but I think she has a great start already.

I wish you all the best!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors