Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm note mad at julray for calling me names. I understand it as a dad who thought he knew the swing and how it's 'supposed' to be taught only to find out he don't. Also finding out that he wasted his DD's time with his teachings. So, I believe he's more mad at himself and is taken out on me. I'm a big boy I can take it. Hopefully he will read and get to work soon on rebuilding his DD's swing. No time to waste.

I am not talking about about anything anybody said in particular, e.g. name calling or whatever. But the thread about his daughter is cluttered, much of it is great back and forth regarding hitting philosophies, but which should be probably moved to a different thread.

May 12, 2016
No prob! What accounted for this change? What was the thought process and what cues did you guys use?

Oh where to start... lol. The HI video that was posted helped me a lot.

Some of the things we went over was...

1. Continuous Pinch - maintaining this helped keep her upper body back
2. She obviously has a no stride approach. The Justin Stone Step and hit video (which I think is awesome) actually screwed her up a little. With the stride approach a lot of batters actually make some forward progression with their upper body prior to heel plant and rotation. He's making a lot of forward progression in that video before heel plany. She was trying to mimic this with her no stride approach... which resulted in her upper body getting over her front hip... that's just my opinion. So she stopped trying to lunge with her upper body.
3. I demonstrated turning the barrel... somebody mentioned knob to your nose which really helped me. She's a quick learner visually so that helped.

I know we have a lot to work on, but a lot of the suggestions on here and the CI video really helped a ton. I am going to work in the continuous pinch video from Justin Stone and work on her lower half some more, I think she is swaying back to far still. Also she topped that ball on the tee, I think her extension could be better. I still know she needs work on bat path as well.

One very positive note... this was the only hit off the tee she did not square up today and for the first time in her life I placed the tee equally between her back and front foot on an inside pitch and she hit up the middle hard, :). I think she turned the barrel true on that swing (not the video posted obviously).

Dec 4, 2013
Barrel turn definitely got a little deeper. I think it's a step in the right direction. Nice work......
PujolsIR_zpsaxqyxyye.gif
swing2_zpsytvlmysp.gif

Here is a no stride swing with a similar set up to your DD. Maybe a good swing to try to emulate?

Last edited:

nib

Dec 23, 2015
Hi all. I am about halfway through the video, and it is interesting to hear some nuance added to the cues. For example, in discussing the hand pivot, the point was made that the initial direction of the barrel is affected by the initial setup/handset.

I liked the point that he made that, if he made no other change in someone other than convincing them to be sudden, he had achieved something.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am going to make one more post in this thread that might help julray and a few others. Again, there are members of this site that have daughters that come to me for hitting. They can verify this if they would like.

1. I do an evaluation with each new student I get. A part of that evaluation is where they take their stance and I toss tennis balls in the area of their shoulder. I look for who can use a tip and rip action with that barrel and get that knob pointed at the ball. I have them move that knob an inch or two but no more. In fact, one student that has come to me for hitting for a couple of years now calls that the "stab them in the eye" drill. When practicing hitting the rise ball, I step to the side, have the hitter do the same, tell them to "get the hands flat fast" and deliver the barrel.

2. Clicker drill - I have my students take their stance at the plate and a ball is on the tee. I have them do the "first click" which is where they take the back knee, start it sideways and down toward the front ankle. They can not move the shoulder. The barrel head is slightly pointed at the pitcher. The hitter pauses here to feel the stretch beginning and the resistance on the back side. The "second click' is where they move the knee slightly more forward and the back hip is rotating forward. The foot is beginning to rotate onto the side front of the back foot. The knob is now pointed at the ball but the hands have not moved forward. After this pause where the hitter should feel some serious resistance, the hitter hits the ball off of the tee. I look for various things in this drill but I'll let you all figure that out.

Use these drills if you like and note I am an "ex expert." Since I now realize that this is a planned attack here of the DFP membership, I am disappointed but not surprised. Too bad we can't all have a civil discussion without the agendas.

Take care,

Darrell

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Uh oh, no shoulder or hip rotation. No scap loading. Oh man.

Anyways, I did like the video from Richard. I always thought he lived in crazy land. Not bad after all

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Barrel turn definitely got a little deeper. I think it's a step in the right direction. Nice work......
PujolsIR_zpsaxqyxyye.gif
swing2_zpsytvlmysp.gif

Here is a no stride swing with a similar set up to your DD. Maybe a good swing to try to emulate?

Yes much better. I agree she still has to much shifting back, needs more coil. I will post more later, I promise. She isn't loading, stopping, lunging and then swinging. Her pull back is much better, more continues.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Oh where to start... lol. The HI video that was posted helped me a lot.

Some of the things we went over was...

1. Continuous Pinch - maintaining this helped keep her upper body back
2. She obviously has a no stride approach. The Justin Stone Step and hit video (which I think is awesome) actually screwed her up a little. With the stride approach a lot of batters actually make some forward progression with their upper body prior to heel plant and rotation. He's making a lot of forward progression in that video before heel plany. She was trying to mimic this with her no stride approach... which resulted in her upper body getting over her front hip... that's just my opinion. So she stopped trying to lunge with her upper body.
3. I demonstrated turning the barrel... somebody mentioned knob to your nose which really helped me. She's a quick learner visually so that helped.

I know we have a lot to work on, but a lot of the suggestions on here and the CI video really helped a ton. I am going to work in the continuous pinch video from Justin Stone and work on her lower half some more, I think she is swaying back to far still. Also she topped that ball on the tee, I think her extension could be better. I still know she needs work on bat path as well.

One very positive note... this was the only hit off the tee she did not square up today and for the first time in her life I placed the tee equally between her back and front foot on an inside pitch and she hit up the middle hard, :). I think she turned the barrel true on that swing (not the video posted obviously).

Glad the video helped you julray... FWIW I hope that it helps hundreds of people. I wonder who posted that?

JRYAN this pretty pathetic. Start trouble then act like you dont want trouble and name calling huh. What a fake. Got your popcorn buddy, looks like you are getting what you wanted. Pathetic and jryan on ignore

Another phony christian

Oh ya, it was that jryan guy... JJblume, if you can't see that I made these two posts to help the people on DFP, then you are too closed minded to gain anything from them...

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/so...e-upright-position-contact-11.html#post441361
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/so...e-upright-position-contact-17.html#post441537

Furthermore being a Christian doesn't mean that doing bad or selfish things is beneath me, I wish it were that easy... It just means that I know that on the inside I know that I'm no better than you or Charles Manson for that matter. We are all broken and in need of the good Lord's grace.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"hold onto the damn bat and turn."

That made me laugh. After purchasing SE's hitting DVDs he called me to ask me what I thought of the information. I wasn't expecting him to call ... and so I blurted out ... well, you basically want a hitter to tilt and turn. At that point he went ballistic. He swore like a person possessed by a demon. The mouth on that guy was sharp!!! You would have thought I killed his most beloved friend. Let's put it this way ... he had passion ;).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
We had 30 minutes today to spend working on her swing.. Long way to go yet, but I believe we made some real progress in comparison to the first video I posted. Sorry for the bad quality

[video]https://youtu.be/kOyumOTfDu8[/video]

Cheers

Big differences. What did you have your daughter work on to make the changes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug